Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello there,

I have a friend of mine who I hired to create a professional website for another friend of mine. The website whom the website is for is an entertainer (Impersonator), and it's important that everything is working properly when we start to use it to market him with it soon. He's been doing his act for a while now, but this is the first time he's had his own website to present to major prospects, so the whole thing is pretty important.

The friend who I hired to build it has a lot of basic website knowledge to create websites, but he has run into a small technical issue, so I'm trying to help him find a specific answer. I must also add that I have some basic knowledge myself, but not as much as him, so that's why I would like to ask someone on here who has much more experience.

First of all, for business reasons, I WANT our own streaming videos on our web pages, and do not want them embedded in from YouTube or other sites, and this is where the problem is coming in because my web designer friend has experience with embedding from Youtube videos, but not with containing actual streaming videos within a site itself. He did some research, and got our streaming video to finally work on three browsers (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Safari), but it does not seem to work on Mozilla Firefox for some reason. The video is programmed to play automatically when the page is visited because that is the way we want it.

If you go HERE to this TEMPORARY address (the actual address will be TheRodneyGuy.com), you will see the work-in-progress Home page (the other navigation links you see there are not operational to other pages on that site at the moment). If someone can please test it in the browsers that I listed above, I would appreciate it, but as you SHOULD see, it does not play in Firefox, but does in the other three. After inspecting the page, can someone please give some suggestions I may pass on to my web designer friend to help him fix this issue for playback in Firefox? Thank you very much for ANY help on this.

Ralph

NOTE: The webpage design is NOT finalized either, and is going to be changed to fit larger screens, but we NEED to resolve this video playback issue first before we go into design changes... thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    If you plan on steaming videos on this web site and not embed them from Youtube you probably going to need a VPS or Dedicated server or your host suspend you in a heartbeat.
    We've got corporate clients that do training videos on their sites for their employees and they're all on dedicated servers.
    I'm not the one in my office that does the videos so I can't help you with that. If no one on the forum can help you then I'll ask the girl how she makes the videos cross browser friendly.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Also, he'd get more viewers by posting it on YouTube. Youtube has social tools built into it that will help him get more exposure.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon, post: 229466
    If you plan on steaming videos on this web site and not embed them from Youtube you probably going to need a VPS or Dedicated server or your host suspend you in a heartbeat.
    We've got corporate clients that do training videos on their sites for their employees and they're all on dedicated servers.
    I'm not the one in my office that does the videos so I can't help you with that. If no one on the forum can help you then I'll ask the girl how she makes the videos cross browser friendly.
    Thanks for your reply Bleau Canon... well, I'll pass that information on, but my friend owns the rights to this video... our domain TheRodneyGuy.com name is registered through Godaddy, but has not been switched over to their server until we get a more completed and functional pages... if you could please ask your friend how she makes the videos cross-browser friendly, that would be great, and highly appreciated... thank you very much again.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired, post: 229468
    Also, he'd get more viewers by posting it on YouTube. Youtube has social tools built into it that will help him get more exposure.
    Thanks Wired, we already have the same exact video on Youtube (actually it's on there a few times), so the purpose of this website is mainly for when we start contacting our main lead sources, and send them the link to the site... it will be optimized for search engines, of course, but it's mainly for demonstration purposes when we contact important contacts... for example, he does a lot of Golf related event stuff, so we have a HUGE list of Golf events we're going to contact (many of them hosted by celebrities), and we'll send the contact person on over to the website once we get them on the phone...

The problem with YouTube is that if you send someone on over to watch a video there, they can be drawn to a competitor's video that is listed on the right of the page that is related by key words... so it basically is a distraction, and you can lose a prospect that way... I've actually had it happen before... thanks for the input though, it DOES make sense because YouTube is a great way to gain exposure, of course.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Does it play properly in all browsers from here: http://phoenixcreations.co/rodney/home.html

I suspect it's the iFrame that you're using trying to pull that video into another page.

Also, you should pull and put all of the external referenced js files on the local site.

Sometime, depending on what they are.. Some servers will deny 3rd party request for resources.

Now I get the friend thing and all, but seriously, if this guy ( the entertainer ), is worried about building out his brand...

Let's just say, friends dont let friends build websites for them. a real friend that knows only a little about design, should insist that their friend find an experienced designer. Then once the site is up, let your friend learn something from it.

Just sayin...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 229483
    Does it play properly in all browsers from here: http://phoenixcreations.co/rodney/home.html

I suspect it's the iFrame that you're using trying to pull that video into another page.

Also, you should pull and put all of the external referenced js files on the local site.

Sometime, depending on what they are.. Some servers will deny 3rd party request for resources.

Now I get the friend thing and all, but seriously, if this guy ( the entertainer ), is worried about building out his brand...

Let's just say, friends dont let friends build websites for them. a real friend that knows only a little about design, should insist that their friend find an experienced designer. Then once the site is up, let your friend learn something from it.

Just sayin...
    Thanks Webzarus, I'll pass that technical information along to my "friend"... Lol... I really appreciate the advice, and I know what you're saying... it's basically the whole Mixing Business with Friends ordeal, and it usually never works out for the best... as you know, everything is a learning process, so we'll see what we all learn from it... but for right now we gotta get this video playback to be compatible on all these different browsers before we start the marketing process with it... REALLY appreciate your expertise.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 229483
    Sorry, I forgot to address your question here, Webzarus... I tested the address you gave me, and the same result... plays in all three other browsers except Firefox... thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Wince I'm on my Phone and can't check... I have to ask the obvious ?

Does any video play for you in firefox ?

The code for that page with several supported videos looks fine from what I can see...

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...s%20not%20play

I have seen that in the past where one plugin will get in the way of another...

Just a thought

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 229523
    Wince I'm on my Phone and can't check... I have to ask the obvious ?

Does any video play for you in firefox ?

The code for that page with several supported videos looks fine from what I can see...

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Video or audio does not play

I have seen that in the past where one plugin will get in the way of another...

Just a thought
    Thanks for the follow up Webzarus... actually, he changed video players, and the video actually seems to play MUCH better in the browsers that it was working in before, and NOW it does play in Firefox... so now, it plays in that browser, Chrome, and Safari... however, not only doesn't it play in IE, but the video is non-existent... Lol... I mean, the player doesn't even show up in IE... as you will see, the text below where the video is, is in replace of where the video player should be...

Weird because it plays flawlessly in all three of those other browsers, but in IE it doesn't even appear appear at all... this problem might be a tell-tale sign that you might know right away regarding IE, so if you could give us any input on that at all, that would be great... I can't thank you enough on your thoughts and help thus far.

I'm adding this note after my initial reply: If it helps any, the player he is using now is called Flowplayer.

OK, I just did some research, and maybe THIS will help to resolve it... I tested this myself, of course, and this is the result... the ONLY way the Flowplayer video player will play (even appear at all) in IE is if you have the Compatibility View feature activated... it's NOT a default setting for IE, and I rarely EVER had to activate that feature to view anything online with it when I used to have IE as my default browser (I now use Chrome), but like I said, the only way the video will EVEN APPEAR on the screen is if you have the Compatibility View feature activated (Tools > Compatibility View)... so maybe this information will be of help to resolve the issue... Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads