Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    I currently make webpages in notepad with HTML but I know a lot of people make their webpages in dreamweaver or other web design programs.

Whats the best way to make a site? With a program or plain HTML in notepad?

Thanks for any replys.

Member #
    I would say - from previous comments about my web building in Frontpage, to use a mixture of Dreamweaver, and Hand Coding i Notepad or other HTML Editors:

Originally Posted by Grommet:
    Heres a good HTML tutorial, the one i learned from. It may be confusing at first but just read over if you dont get it.
    www.davesite.com
    Heres a great site with alot of tutorial on many languages. I suggest you do the CSS one there for sure.
    www.w3schools.com
    And I have found that this is a very handy HTML editor. It colors your code so you can tell whats what easier. It costs money, but you can use the trial version as long as you want and it doesnt look like its limited to anything.
    www.editplus.com
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    i go with code & dreamweaver. works out pretty well. if i want something fixed, and i cant find it as a feature in dreamweaver, i go to code, but if its a long code and dreamwevaer already has the feature, obviously, i use dreamweaver. But i use dreamweaver if its just easier to click the button then typing the code
    Ad space - for sale, $19.95/month

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I feel so famous, getting my quote posted in a new thread .

I hardcode all my stuff. Although dreamweaver has some nice extras like the site map tool. You can also implement CSS with ease unlike frontpage. So I say use both, but keep hardcode your main use.

As in my quote above you can see the link for Edit Plus www.editplus.com Its a very good html editor for hardcode and has alot of a lazy mans shortcuts. For example the code is color coated and there are little buttons for quick tags like font and table.

Welcome to the boards .
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    Thanks.

I've been wondering what other people use for a long time now. I've got dreamweaver but I hardly use it because I can never seem to get things the way I want to and after a little play around with it just now I still can't.

JR
    Member #
    As long as you can indent code and it is colour coded, its good for me (Apart from frontpage)
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Notepad encourages sloppy coding... so I urge people to NOT use it. If you're only going to use a text-editor - use a GOOD one... heck, notepad can't even read LF's correctly. Dreamweaver has some great features, althought he one I find I use most often is it's built in FTP features. Takes away a whole step in building a site.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Not sure that Notepad encourages sloppy coding.

It does the job for me although I tend to use Homesite but that's almost entirely for the snippets and colour coding.

As far as text editors that "help" you complete tags etc. they are about as much use as that office paperclip and tend to get in the way all the time.

My method is to modularise my code so that I don't need to hand code everything every time but maintain absolute control over my code.

Member #
    I use notepad for everything, partly since I'm too lazy to install dreamweaver and try it out, and partly since I've just always done it this way. I tend to try to keep my code clean but that's just me.
    - Brian

Member #
    There are other code editors that color code like Textpad, UltraEdit, MS Visual Studio, and MS Visual Studio .NET.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads