Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I currently use fatcow for my web hosting. My current site was made from their web builder, I then paid a guy $150 to make it look a little better and it looks ok but I have been told that these site builders are not good for seo. I have heard that wordpress sites are seo friendly. I am currently ranking good for 3 term with google.

I just want to create another site to learn/ play with seo. I want it to look decent, can I accomplish this with wordpress, being that I have only worked with a web builder before? Is wordpress user friendly for beginners?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    my current site is fun4alldfw.com
    my new site will be dfwbouncehouses.com

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    If you're ranking well for your terms, then the job is done. That said, Wordpress is about as user friendly as a content management system can be. There is a learning curve, but it isn't bad. Give wordpress.com a try and play around with that, since it's free.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Let's see, I've setup 4 wordpress sites, populated then with content, applied a different theme to each and customized the menus and modified the graphics and stuff in one evening. And I've only done 1 other worpresss site a few years ago. Read through all the help files, their documentation and help files are good. So yes, wordpress is easy to work with.

Like Ronald said, if the site is ranking... My only question would be is it ranking in terms that visitors would use to find the site, or terms that you know work. I've explained to many that if the site can't be found with generic industry terms ( that's how people search ), ranking on the site name means nothing because if they knew the site name they wouldn't be on a search engine, and if the business name is unique enough, that only helps people find you that already know the name.

Most clients are extremely happy if they can be found on 2 -3 search terms,'until I point out to them that just because they can be found on those terms ... Try to think how your potential target market might look for you or your products or services,'then don't just focus on the obvious, but look for at leas 5-6 terms that may be smaller but relevant, focus on driving then and others will come along. Some you may not have even thought of.

btw.. Of the 4 sites mentioned, 3 are on googles page 1 for shopping in the local area I live in, and the sites have only been live for about 3 weeks. The 4th site is on page 2 of google for shopping and antiques.

So yes, wordpress is very SEO friendly. But content is everything.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A site builder in and of itself isn't the SEO issue. Technically, Wordpress is a site builder...you build sites with it (as in you do...I wouldn't touch that thing with a 20-foot pole). The SEO issues result for the most part when bad site builders generate inefficient, bloated, bulky code...and most of them do. There are other issues such as file naming and (im)proper use of tags, but the bulky code is the big one.

As far as your idea is concerned of using two domains, are you going to put distinctly different content for a distinctly different market on your second domain? If not, it's a bad idea. You'll have to market two sites instead of one, do the work on two sites instead of one, go through the hassles and costs associated with two sites instead of one. Not good business practice if it can be avoided. Sometimes it can't (again, if the two sites are distinctly different), but it should. I'm guessing, however, that this isn't the case...the domain names are too similar and your statements about ranking suggest that you haven't been taught the difference between ranking and referral traffic yet (see Webzarus' explanation above for that.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you guys for your info and advice.

There are two reasons I want another site:
    1) My current site only has 5 pages and need 8. I tried to ad more to my existiong site, but 5 is all it will show.

2) Currently my site only ranks well for the terms : bounce house rental ellis county, bounce house rental waxahachie, and bounce house rental midlothian.

I offer a local service to about 5 counties/30 cities. I want to broaden the search. Also I do not rank well for "waterslide rental..." I desire to be ranked with bounce house rental "city".

The current is doing well for my local county and two of the bigger cities, so I figured I will leave that one alone and start a new one site on my own to learn seo and widen my scope of key terms.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Your site shouldn't be restricted by number of pages. You should be able to add as many pages as you want. It's your site. If your site editor is restricting you, then you need another site editor. As much as I can't stand Wordpress, even it doesn't restrict you that way.

As far as "ranks", you'll have to define what you mean. Do you mean "I see it in position X for key phrase Y?" Or do you mean "I can look in my site stats program and see referrals to my site for key phrase Y?" The latter is the one that really matters; the former is meaningless.

If you want to broaden the number of terms you can be found under, then generally the best way to go about it is to add to your existing site, not to build a new one. A larger site will generally outperform two smaller ones, unless you can come up with an entire site for your target market that will be useful and have enough content that doesn't necessarily fit your primary site. I've done this before exactly one time for a site in a client's target market and knocked its largest competitor out of business for six months, but it is extremely tricky (took me about nine months myself to pull that off).

SEO is not difficult to learn, contrary to all the alchemists and junk scientists in the industry and what they'll tell you. Most of it relates to good design....if you can build something that's coded cleanly, easy to navigate, and gives users original content that they want to read, you've nailed about 80-90% of it right there. There are a lot of idiots out there who will tell you that you need "backlinks" and "links from high PR/.gov/.edu sites" or some other BS like that, but most of it becomes faith healing.

If you've done it right, you'll know...all the SEO wannabes will contact you telling you how badly you've done at it and how they can help you (they actually find you on search engines, which is a bit of a sort of a kind of a major flaw in their argument, but it doesn't count, you see.)
    inexperienced and Webzarus like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What he said !!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Grab a copy of Dreamweaver and install it on your computer. Then go onto Youtube and learn to create your very own website, and learn how to do On-Site SEO on your website as well. The YouTube Tutorials will really help you learn! Good luck!!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elasticdesigns, post: 229668
    Grab a copy of Dreamweaver and install it on your computer. Then go onto Youtube and learn to create your very own website, and learn how to do On-Site SEO on your website as well. The YouTube Tutorials will really help you learn! Good luck!!
    That would be "Grab a copy of a really expensive software that will hold you back from learning any real coding skills."

Better they should grab a free copy of Notepad++ or HTML Kit and learn how to code from the get-go.
    Ronald Roe and TheGAME1264 like this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads