Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: HELP

Member #
    i need some help to solve what seems to be a complex problem and I am trying to help my web designer fix the problem. this is probaly posted in the wrong place and I may never get an answer but at this point I am willing to give anything a go

I am trying to get the live world gold price on a web page to do this function.
    when you click a button that generates an automatic email. I want to get the price at that time and date to go into the email my page is generating>

The form currently generates other information but I need it to grab the live price from a feed and post that into the form at the exact time that email generates. in effect i need the live price to go acoss to the form put itself in and send in that email message with the other email my form has generated.
    If anyone get this please help
    The web page is being build in what i think is call CMS and I am new to all this and learning more then I ever wanted to learn. I thank all those out there who get this and make web buillding a true art!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Where is the live feed ?

If you have access to that feed, it should be very simple.

Depending on the server your hosting is on, you can use asp , asp.net or php to send an email. The body of the email can pretty much have any information you want.

Member #
    The feed will be coming from a web page like www.kitco.com. my problem is not sending the email it getting the info from the feed and getiing it to drop into the automaticaly generated email.
    I need the price of gold to be grabbed from the feed when a button is clicked. Best way to explain I guess is this

I am in the page I am looking at the world price which comes into the web page from kitco. I then say ok I want to buy 5grams i go over to the button and click 5 grams then i click confirm from there a automatic email is generated that includes my details as well as the 5 gram. My developed has that all worked out but what she cant work out is how to get the gold price from the feed to enter into that automatic email that has been generated. She cant work out how to when clicking the confirm button to grab that price from the feed and get it into the email.

I hope that explains it better! I am not a developer or guru of any of this I am just trying to help her get it done because she cant write coding and such I am unable to have a widget built to automate it all and of course the cost as well.

Thank you so much for responding!! Thank you as well for any help you can provide!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Ok, so let me get this straight.

You have the email part, etc. but you're trying to pull some data from someone else's page ?

Herein lies the problem. What you are basically wanting to do is "scrape" someone else's page. Even if you were able to successfully pull and extract the info you want ( extremely painful building the filters to pull the page contents and ignore all but what you want, if the site owner that you are doing that to realizes it, all the have to do is change a couple of small things on the page and you're back at square one, and you won't know it until you've sent out emails with a ton of useless data in it.

What you need to do instead is find a service that you can pull the data from, without all the extra code.

Googling i found this one. http://www.FreeWebServicesX.com/GoldSpotPrice.aspx

You call their service, extract the data, dump it in your email and away you go.

Most free services are not going to be realtime, the only one I see that are realtime you have to pay for, so for your purposes, I'd suggest a paid service or you or your visitors don't get bit by the 2 minute delay when the price is dropping.

Probably not the answer you wanted, but it's the realistic answer. Especially when dealing with commodities that the price changes on the minute, you cannot afford to not be displaying realtime data.

Member #
    Hi and thank you for your post. It sounds like what i need to do my web developer would like to talk to you and ask a few questions if thats ok?? I cant find a private message thing on the page maybe i could give you my email. She has gone to your web page and was going to try to ring you hope she get ahold of you. let me know if you prefer an email and i will find a way to give you heres or mine and she can ask you about things i know nothing about! THANKS again I could not find anyony who provided the service that you refered me to and this is a huge help.

Member #
    As I said THANKS THANKS thanks. just let me know how i can put you in contact with my web girl via email or something maybe i can just have her login to this if thats best and you may be able to answer her questions just le me know what suits you best i thought we would never get this worked out and wow you have given me great hope!! thanks again!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    to send a private message on here, click on their username under their avatar, then click the "Start a Conversation" link in the popup thingy...
    Hope it helps and glad you found good help here
    -shovenose

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I don't mind the questions in pm, but if you ask them here in the forum, the questions and answers might be helpful to someone else.

I don't give out my email address for obvious reasons, but I'll try and give answers if I know them. If I don't know the answer I'll tell you, but hopefully someonelse here will know the answer.

Remove Ads