Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Thanks everyone for your input. Not sure how to delete this thread otherwise I would have.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I want everyone to know that I'm not endorsing this site, but found this to be a good
    example of what I'm going to explain below: http://www.mychurchwebsite.com/

What you're talking about in post #1 is a marriage to a website that only you can update.
    You will be swamped with changes, constant updating, dealing with podcasts, videos.
    I truly recommend that you have the church subscribe to an online service like the
    one above.

Only create sites where the clients can handle the content themselves.

It's my advice to you ... do not take-on the church website project. You'll reget it.

Your role for the church project should be this ...
    Find online solutions like the example above, compare costs, help them set it up.
    Provide some CMS training for them, and troubleshoot problems. Let them do the
    content themselves. Here's what will happen. They will be excited and eager for
    the first 2 months, and then, nobody will want to take the time to add/edit content.
    You'll be out of the loop ... because it's their responsibility to do the online content.

Websites are no longer "static". The sites today are dynamic, where information is the key.
    Content is edit-able, there is social interaction, and a personal connection to smart
    phones, ipads, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd say the same thing as mlseim said, but for a different reason.

It's a church that you're talking about. It doesn't matter what we tell you to charge, nor should it...every situation is different. With a church, you're not likely to get much and you're going to be expected to do a lot in return. A church is a not-for-profit (in theory) entity, and as a result, you're probably going to be expected to sacrifice something to the cause.

Even if you supply them something to administer their own content, they won't use it in all likelihood. T The church staff will be "overwhelmed with church responsibilities" or words to that effect. You'll be the one as a result doing all the work.

If I were you, I'd set an hourly rate you can live with that would still be low enough that a church would accept and quote the job that way. I charge X per hour, that's it, that's all. If they accept your rate, great. If not, move on.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, I'm going to go ahead and point out the pink elephant in the room here. I may be the only person who has ever noticed this, and it's extremely politically incorrect of me to point it out...but I don't care.

Here's the problem...just about any web service I've ever seen that has a religious tie, particularly a Christian tie, is a colossal price gouge. $19.99/month hosting? That's about 4 times as much as you'd need to pay from a real web host. I thought this was the kind of thing the morality of religion was supposed to protect against.

Just to save you guys some money off the top, there are a bunch of quality hosts that would charge $5.00 a month or less for what you want. Here's one, and their hosting comes with your choice of several site creators so you're not stuck with whatever third-rate ten-year-old pile of crap of a site creator these ShareFaith guys will probably saddle you with (if they're going to screw you on price, they may as well go the whole nine yards and screw you on quality too).

As far as what to charge...we can't really give you hard numbers because it depends on several factors:
    • Your experience level.
    • What the church can afford.
    • What you can do within the church's budget.
    • The competition in your area.
    • All the other factors that go into marketing a service.

In other words, this is one of those questions you're just going to have to figure out on your own. Personally, my figure would be $0, as in "run screaming from this at all costs", but 1) I'm an atheist and 2) I've already been down the not-for-profit road too many times...so this probably isn't the answer you're looking for.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As TheGame pointed out, the not for profit angle always pushes the envelope. Even if you give them a set $ per hour, when they get the bill for say 20 hours of work, they will say ... You really spent 20 hours ? You should have been able to do that in 10 ... ( been there done that ), I know several others that have offered other services ( accounting, bookkeeping, etc ), heard similar stories... Even people that just volunteered their time... Over time... Their expectations just got more and more...

Not saying that they all do this, but personally have not dealt with a church where it didn't come up.

One friend actually did the setup, management, updates etc. for free... Started out normal, after about 6 months, someone wanted to start putting videos etc... ( not possible on shared hosting ), so she told them they would have to cover the cost of the hosting... Since she was already paying for everything... After 2 months they couldn't afford to pay her for the hosting cost ( because they were building a new addition ), she felt bad but couldn't afford to do it herself. She eventually ended up dropping the site, and leaving the church because she felt guilty.

Whatever you do... Insist on a contract and keep records of everything. If possible, get setup cost "upfront",

I've built and passed off several sites like that in the past, but that was also negotiated. I set it up, your people maintain it, but then again, I didn't have any personal ties to any of them.

Not familiar with any of the hosting mentioned, as mentioned above, inflated pricing for not much.

Always set them up on my servers or their choice of servers.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    "The Game" does have a point ....

They could create one all online like "Intiut" or something like that.
    I mentioned "mychurchwebsite" because they seem to focus specifically
    on the features the OP wanted. But it is more costly than the put-it-together
    yourself sites like Intuit has.

So, I guess the answer to Skye's original post would be, $30-$40 an hour?
    It's not just your time, but your experience and expertise as well.
    An artist who makes a masterpiece painting in 10 hours doesn't charge
    $200 for it ... they might charge $5000-$10000 for it.

Skye, this will be a good learning experience for you.
    Keep us posted on how it goes. It should be interesting.
    Skye likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I always have a point! I'm friggin' awesome. How many times do I have to tell you people that? :P

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well...you're going to find out for sure if they're serious or not. At that hourly rate, though, I suspect you won't hear from them again. There's always a sucker willing to work cheap in the name of the Lord God Almighty...or Cliff, as we know him.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    If they decide to hire someone else, I would let them do it.
    Unless you give them a CMS, ... or unless you only do sites with a CMS,
    you will not get much business. Static sites are no longer wanted.

A church site especially is all about looking something up, like a calendar
    of events, names, phone number, sermon podcasts. 61 pages of a church
    website will never be used. Nobody will browse it, nobody will keep it updated.

In fact, if it were me, I would make a 3 page site with the most important
    information, and everything else would be dynamic serving of information to
    one of those three pages and especially to mobile online apps. The first page
    is what the church is about, where they're located, service times. The second
    page is a more detailed information page about the church. The third page
    is the really dynamic page. It can display calendars, podcast streams, videos,
    searched information. That third page is what gets rendered as a desktop or
    laptop format ... or ... an iPhone, iPad, Android -- mobile format.

Even to go a step further ...

A one page site, and the rest of their site is a FaceBook page.
    A FaceBook page that is public, so anyone can use it, even if they don't have a facebook account.

Remove Ads