Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey guys,

I recently started up a website and I'm trying to create something similar to this site:

http://myanimelist.net/

That is, I'm attempting to build a site with similar features.
    -User Profiles w/ customization
    -Database
    -Forums

I have little to no experience so its safe to say I'm a complete noob. IF anyone has tips or advice on how I would even start something like this It would be much appreciated. I've been trying out open source stuff like Joomla but even that I'm not sure how to configure to fit my needs.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So are you looking to setup a forum ? Online community ?

What you're asking for is something that would be nearly impossible to completely explain here in the forums.

But if you provide specifics about what you are trying to do...

There are tons of premade scripts ... Many hosting providers have installers for many of them... But you gotta kinda know what you want... Not really famiar with joomla, but understand it has a pretty large learning curve for inexperienced users...

Wordpress is pretty simple, don't think it has a forum plugin, but you could always load Wordpress for general stuff, and myphp forums ( or any other php forum ) on the same domain .

Member #
    What kind of specifics do you want? The website I linked to is more or less what I'm aiming for in terms of features. It is NOT a blog, or anything remotely similar and I don't want to use Wordpress for that reason. I'm trying to set up something where users can register, make their profiles, customize them, add database entries to personal lists and have forums.

I'm being hosted on iPage if thats any help.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Thats just a forum...

FYI... Wordpress may have been just a blogging platform at one time, not anymore.

Don't know about iPage. Perhaps they have some forum software pre-installers for you to use. Each forum is different in how the admin sections work, but they are all pretty much the same thing in how users use then.

Hey wait... This is a forum.

Member #
    But it's not just a forum? The forum is part of it, but user profiles and the database, in this case anime, is the bigger focus.

Heres there forum, looks like custom work?
    http://myanimelist.net/forum/

But here are examples of user profiles and database entries
    http://myanimelist.net/profile/camelkid11
    Database entry
    http://myanimelist.net/anime/665/JoJ...venture_(2000)
    List on which you can add and remove entries
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/camelkid11

I may be wrong but this doesn't look like just a forum.

And I may also be mistaken about Wordpress, if something like this is easily done with Wordpress then by all means tell me.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yup, still just a forum, all that stuff is just part of the package. Some of the forum programs have all that and more built into them. Looks like that particular one might be a custom build. Or they paid to take the credit off of whatever they are using

Member #
    Alright, its a forum then. Are there any open source forum builds that have the abilities to add these kind of features?
    My host has these forum scripts available, but you can use your own if you want.
    Simple Machines Forum
    phpBB
    bbPress
    PunBB
    Vanilla Forums

And of course I still have Joomla + Community Builder installed though I'm not sure that'll let me do what I'm trying to do.

Member #
    No answer?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Which of the above listed forums have you tried or researched ? To see if they are going to do what you want them to do ?

Member #
    I went through all of them to see how they stacked up against each other. I think out of all of them I liked Vanilla Forums the best but none of them really had any sort of way (that I saw) to do what I wanted. If I installed it to the mian page the main page will be the forums, yet if I install it to mydomain/forums I'd need to create a homepage myself that directs to the forums right? But then how would I make the login system work with it?

Also, the main focus of the site is not the actual forums but rather the profiles and more specifically the ability for users to create lists by adding entries from the sites database. I've been pouring over tutorials but have yet to find any way to do this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads