Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've got two issues I want to ask about.

First, I've got my WordPress (.org) website up and I've installed the All-in-One-SEO Pack. I can see the keywords and description meta tags in the source code of my site.

When I'm in the "edit" mode for any one of my pages, and when I scroll down to the bottom, I can see spaces to enter the following information:

Title (I guess this means the page title, like "Home", "Links", etc.
    Description
    Keywords
    Title Attribute (which means what?)
    Menu Label (which means what?)
    Disable on this page/post (has a check box where it can be checked or not.)

My questions are:
    1) do I need to fill in these spaces even though I have the "keywords" and "description" meta tags in the source code already in place?

2) And will filling these out help my site get picked better, quicker, and make it more likely that I'll be on the first page of a Google search?

And what specifically do "Title Attribute" and "Menu Label" mean?
    ================================================== ========================
    Second, I want to be able to track all traffic coming to my site. Specifically, unique visitors, number of visits, pages viewed, which pages are being viewed the most, where the hits are coming from, IP number, and any other information that would be useful to a commercial website.

What are some good plug-ins for this and where can I get them, and is there anything I need to know about setting it up and getting it to work?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Keywords in the context you are talking about are just a small part of the SEO puzzle.

The SEO plugin for WP is just a tool, read the documentation that the author has provided to use it as its intended.

You should also search these forums for SEO best practices and what people are doing for SEO. Between those 2 thing, you should be able to use that plugin.

As for tracking ? Log files ? I don't know if I would trust a plugin to parse my log files correctly, but then again, I've been managing and monitoring log files for a very long time.

You should look at your hosting package to see what log file options they offer, some are not as good as others.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If it's a commercial website, why are you putting it on Wordpress in the first place?

This is a bad idea...a really bad idea. Besides being one of the most insecure programs of any type out there (yes, I know it's a 2010 article, but for some reason Trend Micro never released a 2011 version), you're using something that will give you all kinds of hassle as far as maintenance is concerned unless you disable comments...you'll find this out in a big hurry once the SEO wannabes get a hold of your site. If you're going to build a site, you're better off building it yourself from scratch than you are relying on this piece of garbage.

As far as tracking goes, most hosts come with AWStats or Webalizer or something of that nature (AWStats would be the preferred choice among free stats analyzers). I personally use Google Analytics, however, since it's a lost more flexible as far as configuring custom tracking is concerned (e.g. funnel behavior, exit link tracking).
    signcrafter likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    @TheGAME1264

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, about a week ago I disabled all of the comments boxes that used to appear at the bottom of each page.

I do have a web-based email address that appears at the bottom of each page, however, but it is not a hyperlink—they'd have to copy and paste it into their own email program and then send it in order for me to get it.

The reason I went the WordPress way (for now) is because I don't know any other program well enough to build my own site and I wanted to get something online now. While that's up I'll be trying to learn other web design applications.

I'll check with my site host about any tracker.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, as long as you've got a long term goal to get off it.

You don't want an email address at the bottom of each page, even if it's not hyperlinked. Here's why.

Good that you disabled comment boxes, but make sure bots can't still post comments or otherwise alter your page. The former is fairly easy to test...create a spider and attempt to send a comment to one your posts. The latter basically means you have to be vigilant about WP updates.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    At the moment there is no place for anyone to comment. Comment boxes on all pages have been removed. Spammers can't comment, I can't comment. When I got my host I also paid for one year of SiteLock. It's supposed to block spammers.

At the bottom of each page is the phone number and the email address. You're saying take the Yahoo email address off of all but one page? And put it on the "Home" page only?

Because of the type of business I'm in I need to have clients email graphics files, so they have to have some way of doing that. The web-based email that I use has a spam blocker on it and I've had very little trouble with spam over the years. It is a dedicated email address—I never use it for anything else. When I post to other sites, like this one, I use one of several other email addresses I have.

What did you mean about the "SEO wannabes"?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The boxes may be removed, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't comment. If the pages themselves still accept form posts, it is theoretically possible for a bot (not a human) to comment. A lot of the bots are pretty sneaky and can do things like disguise themselves as browsers (a lot of the time, the bot itself is programmed to use a browser as well).

One of the rare guys who I take my medicine from on any subject is IncrediBILL (NSFW: contains lots of swearing). He's direct, opinionated, mouthy, to the point, and has forgotten more about bots than you and I combined will ever know. If you can get past all the "f**ks" and "s**ts", you'll really learn a lot from reading his posts and reading between the lines about some of the stuff bots do.

Now, as far as SiteLock goes, I have no experience with that and can't really comment. Bill might have a take on that, but I don't.

What I meant by "SEO wannabes" is that there are a large percentage of people in the SEO community who are so convinced that inbound links are some kind of search engine universal bandaid that they will go to any lengths to acquire them. One of the more common techniques is to hack WordPress sites (primarily ones that aren't updated/patched) and inject code into them so that their links are hidden to users but visible to search engine crawlers. Google has long since wised up to this for the most part, but they still try.

The same sort of hacking is done for more nefarious purposes as well...I've even seen extreme religious zealots hack sites for the purposes of showing how powerful they are and attempting to sell their religious doctrines. I'm not sure how hacking a site is going to convince anyone to spend $19.95 on someone's book of beliefs, but it happens.

So yeah...with WordPress, you need to be borderline paranoid.

Remove Ads