Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello, I had posted a thread regarding compatibility of our streaming video player to play in different browsers for the same webpage THIS thread is about, but fortunately we got that resolved. However we have another issue now, and I was wondering if there is ANY fix to this situation.

First note, the web designer is putting together the page itself, and I'm doing all the graphics for it (I have Ps experience in that). This website is for an entertainer (Impersonator), and will be shown to some major prospects. I work with the entertainer as his marketing manager, and I'm in charge of this project.

This web designer we're working with has experience, but NOT thorough experience, so I figured I could ask a more experienced web designer hopefully on here to help us out. The design that I chose to go with is not fitting properly into smaller screens, so we need to figure out how to get around this. He said that currently the inner portion of the web page is not going to fit on any screens 13 inches or smaller (it's cut off at the top).

I personally have a 19-inch screen on my desk top, and it looks absolutely perfect (with much room to spare around the inner main portion of the design), but on his 13-inch laptop which he uses as his portable computer, the upper portion of the page is cut off, and he sent me a screen shot verifying this (he has a 27-inch that he does most of his design work with, but he tested it on his laptop to see how it would fit).

I haven't spoken to him since yesterday (he took Sunday off), but need to tell him another observation so he can test it himself. And that is - a family member of mine viewed it on her 15-inch laptop computer screen (fully maximized browser), and she said that it was even being cut off at the top of IT, which is hard for me to believe since only a small portion was cut off on the 13-inch, according to the screen shot he sent me.

The TEMPORARY address and current Home page is HERE. So depending on the computer screen size you're viewing it on, will determine how much of the outer border section will show, and how much will be cut off at the top with the smaller screens. ANY suggestions at all that I can relay to my designer to help resolve this without effecting the design outlay of the web page?

I KNOW it's possible because HERE is a similar design (larger outer border area with main portion of page centered in a boxed-in area), which has no problems fitting into a smaller screen WITH THE USE OF the available scroll bars. On our current design, EVEN the scroll bars don't help fit it (center-it) onto a smaller screen ; which is the SAME concept with a browser that is restored down to a small size on a larger screen.

So in other words, even if you're on a larger screen like my 19-inch, and our design fits with room to spare, if you restore down the size of your browser (even if you have to drag the borders in to do it), you ARE able to center this sample page I just gave above, however with our page, you can not, and it is STILL cut-off at the top of the page EVEN if you bring the right-hand scroll bar all the way down to the bottom as far as it goes, to move the entire web page up. I believe that there is definitely some command missing in the html to control this, and we need to figure this out because we can't afford to have to rely on people with larger screens to be able to view our web page in its entirety.

Sorry for the long initial post, but I just wanted to be as detailed as possible to help explain exactly what is going on here. Thank you for any help on this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It's that absolute positioning on the div named erv that is throwing things off.

Typically I and from what I read most designers use absolute positioning as a last resort, same with table layouts. There is a purpose for both when used correctly.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 230065
    It's that absolute positioning on the div named erv that is throwing things off.

Typically I and from what I read most designers use absolute positioning as a last resort, same with table layouts. There is a purpose for both when used correctly.
    Ok Webzarus. SO what do you suggest for him to do to fix this? Instead of absolute positioning, what should be used? Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Relative positioning, personally I'd do away with the tables, simple 2 column CSS layout, if you understand how to use CSS. Since he's using tables, assuming he doesnt.

Relative position is just that each div defined not as absolute is positioned relative to the dive that contains it or "parent div", he's trying to use CSS and tables, but if your going to use tables for layout and try to use CSS for positioning, it would be best to define position on the table as well.

Normally mixing CSS and tables for layout purposes can create some weird effects if you're not familiar. It's best ( and less confusing ) , to use one or the other, but not both, unless you ...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 230067
    Relative positioning, personally I'd do away with the tables, simple 2 column CSS layout, if you understand how to use CSS. Since he's using tables, assuming he doesnt.

Relative position is just that each div defined not as absolute is positioned relative to the dive that contains it or "parent div", he's trying to use CSS and tables, but if your going to use tables for layout and try to use CSS for positioning, it would be best to define position on the table as well.

Normally mixing CSS and tables for layout purposes can create some weird effects if you're not familiar. It's best ( and less confusing ) , to use one or the other, but not both, unless you ...
    Ok thank you, and I'll pass on this information to him... I think he's going to need SPECIFIC instructions on how to do this... on other words, someone is going to have to look at the source, and tell him exactly what he needs to do differently, but I guess the information you just gave me will give him a basic idea on what he needs to do... any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Perhaps it would be better if HE signed up here and posted his questions...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's not the size of your screen that matters, although it does dictate to a certain extent the factor that's affecting you, and that's the resolution of your screen. When you have a smaller screen, you have a smaller resolution, which can also occur with the larger screens as well (by default, a larger LCD screen in particular isn't configured at its maximum resolution). The smaller resolution in turn means that things don't fit on it the way you want them to.

The good thing about your site is that he hasn't gotten very far with it. If he had done the whole thing, you'd be in much worse shape than you are. The reason is that the entire concept itself isn't well thought out. The whole idea of vertically centering a layout works if you don't have much content and you can fit everything inside of the viewport window. This isn't the case here...the text on the home page alone suggests otherwise. You end up with a scrollbar in a non-standard location, which is absolute death from a conversion point of view...as a general rule, users hate this and you want to avoid it.

You wouldn't want to do the site that you referenced as a solution, either. It looks good, don't get me wrong...but it's also a Flash site. A Flash site creates a whole set of headaches and again, probably won't get you to where you want to go, which I'm assuming is to get people to book you and listen to you talk about how you don't get no respect.

In other words, what I would suggest isn't to continue going down the road with the concept you're on with the smaller window. Take advantage of the real estate that you have. If that means you have a vertical scrollbar like the one you're going to get on this page, for example, that's fine...you'll be a lot better served. What you think is the problem is only the symptom here.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 230091
    ...which I'm assuming is to get people to book you and listen to you talk about how you don't get no respect.

In other words, what I would suggest isn't to continue going down the road with the concept you're on with the smaller window. Take advantage of the real estate that you have. If that means you have a vertical scrollbar like the one you're going to get on this page, for example, that's fine...you'll be a lot better served. What you think is the problem is only the symptom here.
    Good One, TheGame!... Lol... yeah, we're definitely looking for people to book Erv so he can tell him all of his problems (as Rodney), which they DO want to hear, ironically... Lol..

Your answer is exactly what I was dreading, and if there is no fix for the current design within itself, is there any way a scroll bar can just be added to the far right of the entire layout (to the outside right of the purple diamond area) to make it available to move the ENTIRE page up and down, or would there have to be content down below the enclosed main area which would command such a scroll bar to unveil THAT content??... In other words, what can be done to add an additional scroll bar like I just explained?... thanks for the Respect, and helping with your suggestions.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 230082
    Perhaps it would be better if HE signed up here and posted his questions...
    Thanks Webzarus... I'm pretty sure he's a member of this forum, but I'll suggest it... just thought I'd save him the time by doing it myself, but I see your point... thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's just it...there really isn't anything that will ultimately get you what you want. That's why I suggested just scrapping the idea.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads