Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member Andrew Yurlov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,306
    Member #
    27566
    Liked
    181 times
    I'm starting up being a freelancer as soon as I finish my website. How much should I charge for my services.
    I will be offering Web Design, Logo design, and SEO. I do not have a portfolio yet.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

    Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs



  2.  

  3. #2
    Junior Member Al Roberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    30421
    I would say it would depend on your skill level. When I started out I knew nothing compared to what I know now. Also, with no other sites under your belt, I would say you will probably have to do some work for less money than you might think, just so you can get some work. I prefer charging per project as opposed to per hour. Not that either way is better, it just works for me. Just starting out, I tried to put an offer on the table that the customer could not turn down. After several jobs and a few lost jobs because I over quoted, I have found a nice price range that works for my business and clients. There are many factors you need to consider too, such as market area, competition, etc.

    I didn't give you a price, but hopefully some good advice.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Webzarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Carolina Coast
    Posts
    3,322
    Member #
    27709
    Liked
    770 times
    Look at your local Craigslist offerings, that is who you will be competing against until you build up a portfolio to show your skills... Even some of those guys have portfolios but you'd be amazed at the range of skill levels there are.

    Also look toward doing some pro bono work for a worthwhile organization in your area, give you a chance to build you portfolio, experience level and get some real hands on in dealing with clients.

    I know a guy just who was just starting out, did some work for a local charity, one of the big supporters of that charity like his work so much, he hired him to do several jobs at market rate, one thing led to another, he's one of the busiest guys I know.

  5. #4
    Junior Member Al Roberts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Windsor Locks, CT
    Posts
    4
    Member #
    30421
    I would have to agree with Webzarus about charity work being a great way to get started. Look online for some non-profit organizations, churches, clubs, etc. and see if they have a website and/or if they could maybe use a website upgrade. Then contact them and see if you can offer some reduced cost or even free services. This will get your name out there and it might lead to more business down the road.

    When you are looking around at these local sites, take a look at who built their current site and check out that developers portfolio. It will give you a good indication on who else they are doing work for in your area.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    30773
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 230161
    I'm starting up being a freelancer as soon as I finish my website. How much should I charge for my services.
    I will be offering Web Design, Logo design, and SEO. I do not have a portfolio yet.
    It is a tough business to get started in without a portfolio. IMHO I would start asking your clients what their budget is. I would even go so far as to do the first few for free - but make sure you really put the wow factor into them. It is easy to rush through a freebie but don't do it.
    Another thing you can do is some local band web sites. Most bands know a lot of people and work just as hard as you do getting there name out - do a good job and they will say who built it. Just make sure if you are doing anything for free that you make a referral a condition.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Andrew Yurlov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,306
    Member #
    27566
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Roberts, post: 230165
    I would say it would depend on your skill level. When I started out I knew nothing compared to what I know now. Also, with no other sites under your belt, I would say you will probably have to do some work for less money than you might think, just so you can get some work. I prefer charging per project as opposed to per hour. Not that either way is better, it just works for me. Just starting out, I tried to put an offer on the table that the customer could not turn down. After several jobs and a few lost jobs because I over quoted, I have found a nice price range that works for my business and clients. There are many factors you need to consider too, such as market area, competition, etc.

    I didn't give you a price, but hopefully some good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Roberts, post: 230172
    I would have to agree with Webzarus about charity work being a great way to get started. Look online for some non-profit organizations, churches, clubs, etc. and see if they have a website and/or if they could maybe use a website upgrade. Then contact them and see if you can offer some reduced cost or even free services. This will get your name out there and it might lead to more business down the road.

    When you are looking around at these local sites, take a look at who built their current site and check out that developers portfolio. It will give you a good indication on who else they are doing work for in your area.
    Thank you guys for some great advice. I already called 7 small businesses but most people thing their website is "fine". I'l keep trying.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

    Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs



  8. #7
    WDF Staff mlseim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cottage Grove, Minnesota
    Posts
    7,715
    Member #
    5580
    Liked
    717 times
    Andrew ...
    I see your site is still in progress, but some very important advice ... use spell checker:

    commitement
    profesional
    jepordize


  9. #8
    Senior Member Andrew Yurlov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,306
    Member #
    27566
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 230200
    Andrew ...
    I see your site is still in progress, but some very important advice ... use spell checker:

    commitement
    profesional
    jepordize
    I like to do the spell checker after the design. I realize that spelling is VERY important to getting someone to trust you.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

    Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs



  10. #9
    Senior Member Webzarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Carolina Coast
    Posts
    3,322
    Member #
    27709
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 230194
    Thank you guys for some great advice. I already called 7 small businesses but most people thing their website is "fine". I'l keep trying.
    Be careful in just cold calling, some people take it personally when you approach them about their web site, inferring that it needs to be better.

    At least do a little research to see if they even have a web site, they might have one, but if you can't find it through the search engines, perhaps they need some assistance in the SEO field.

    Telling a company or organization that their site needs help is a touchy subject, you might be better off looking through volunteermatch.com and see if there are some listed opportunities there.

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fairfax, CA
    Posts
    2,036
    Member #
    28003
    Liked
    126 times
    I don't know if this is relevant to you but this is going to be my approach to getting my almost-freelance web design service kickstarted... (well, I've hired a friend to do logos for me).
    First, I'm going to focus on making my own website/portfolio look really nice and work really well. If people see a good first impression and they see I can carry through with a site they will be more likely to contact me.
    Then, i'm going to develop my portfolio. I'm going to do about 7 sites for free, or at least almost free. i'm just going to ask for a little Shovenose.com link at the bottom. People will probably be OK with that and accept. I'm going to put full effort into these portfolio-beginning sites even though they will probably end up being freebies.
    Finally,
    I will start advertising, and getting my name out there, to make some money and get real business. I'm going to start with really good deals they can't pass up, then as I develop a bigger better portfolio and more skill, as well as better search engine rankings because of the multittude of quality incoming links from the sites, I can start raising my prices to normal levels.


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com