Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi all,

When is it appropriate to use block quotes? I am planning to design a background image to contain a poem written by a famous Scottish poet, citing the author and the website it was taken from. The image will be your typical speach bubble type shape.

The reason I am asking is that I read somewhere that you should only use 'quotes' or 'block quotes' for certain things like news statements made in news articles, interviews and such.

I suppose the question would be better put as...when is it not appropriate to use block quotes?

I appreciate your opinions on this

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Use quote symbols when highlighting a section of a sentence or statement to define either the quote or word(s) you want to emphasize.

Use block quotes when you want to "indent" an entire paragraph or passage of text that would be separated from the rest of the content.

This can be done with CSS to acquire the same effect, but using the actual block quote tags also informs search engines of the emphasis and importance of the statement.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks, that helps with what I have in mind for the final layout as it will be a section position to the right of the main content in the same sort of a position as a sidebar, but purley to add sentiment and decoration to the rest of the page.

Remove Ads