Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey folks,

I recently had a company video produced, which I uploaded to YouTube and embedded on my site. One of my customers wants to watch the video, but their server blocks YouTube. The file I have is a .wmv. I'm not sure how to put this on my site without going through a video sharing site. Any advice?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If their firewall is blocking YouTube, I can almost guarantee it will block WMV or pretty much any other video format.

There is really a reason they block them ( not to just block YouTube and the time wasting involved there ), I manage firewalls for several clients and because of security issues involved with videos being hacked and malware and Trojans embedded in them, they have asked me to block them all.

Prior to my creating the filters, their malware rates were enormous. On avg. 4-7 incidents a week. Since the firewall rule was implemented several months ago, there have only been 2 malware incidents total, and those were traced back to email exposure.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but I thought I'd try to keep you from wasting a whole lot of time and resources.

The CEO's and upper management all have smartphones that are capable of YouTube.

Several of my clients have pretty much asked the same question... The only other option is to convert the WMV file to a swf file ( anysoft video converter ), embed them as you would any flash file.

Once they are being served from the site, they can ask their firewall manager to allow content from that domain ( instead of opening up all of YouTube ).

Member #
    I appreciate the input Webzarus. I'll convert the file. I learn something new everyday. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So do I

Remove Ads