Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys!

I'm looking at building a website for my new gaming community that my friend and I are making. I already have the design in mind, and I have a steadily-increasing knowledge of HTML, and CSS. The basic idea for this post is: What do I have to learn to make this happen? I am not buying from professionals because I am only 15, and don't have an endless supply of money (plus I'm already going to pay for hosting, game servers, etc, but you don't really need to know that).

I am planning on making the first page with a news section, like a blog, with an archive and an automatic post-to-twitter option(this is called a dynamic website, correct?). For this I know i need knowledge of PHP, and perhaps databases? I am also looking to build a forum, which I am thinking of just getting software for (how hard would it be to build my own?), and obviously I need to create a login/signup option, which i know would involve mySQL and php.

I believe that is everything I need help with. If you can explain these things to me, I would greatly appreciate it, or if there is another thread that i looked over and missed a similar thread, please direct there if you will.

If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!!

-Matt

[S]also, how do I already have a profile image... if I didn't add one and I just made the account... XD nice site![/S] Ah, Gravatar. Nevermind!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It will take you a long time to learn PHP and MySQL in order to make your own.
    You might have to start with a WordPress site first. Your webhost can install it
    for you automatically (most of them do anyhow). Find a nice free WP theme to
    use and customize it. That would be a good place to start because it would get
    you introduced to some PHP, plug-ins, and how dynamic things work.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 230734
    It will take you a long time to learn PHP and MySQL in order to make your own.
    You might have to start with a WordPress site first. Your webhost can install it
    for you automatically (most of them do anyhow). Find a nice free WP theme to
    use and customize it. That would be a good place to start because it would get
    you introduced to some PHP, plug-ins, and how dynamic things work.
    Thanks for the reply! On average, how long does it take to learn these? Also, is it possible to design my own theme for WordPress? The main reason that I avoided going that direction in the first place, is I want a layout for my site that I don't think would work with WP.

Thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It all depends on how driven you are to learn it.

I knew a guy that once learned the basics of php in a weekend and was doing some pretty advanced stuff after a couple of weeks... But he already knew the basics of asp and some other programming languages before he started with php.

As for the themes... Pretty much anything is possible... There are entire sites out there that focus on building custom themes and child themes for WP. I have seen some sites that you would never know they were Wordpress if you didn't know the site owner.

Member #
    I'm pretty driven. Although I don't have tons, I do have a little time on my hands.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Depending on what gave server host you use, some of them will have an easy software setup that would allow you to make a front page, news postings, forums, etc. Everything a gaming clan would need. It might be something like this: http://www.507th.net/

Member #
    I was going to do a site like that, except I would like a completely original website, one that doesn't look like 300+ other clan websites. And this really isn't a clan ( i guess you could argue that ), I'm looking at 15+ games that our community will be into. Still, what coding would I need to learn to be able to acomplish all this? Obviously Html, CSS, and php, but what else?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    A little jQuery ( or at least how to implement it into some items ) will help with some interactivity.

Ajax, for some advanced data handling ( but really not necessary in the beginning ) HTML, CSS and php will be the backbone.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    HTML, CSS, PHP, probably some Javascript, MySQL, and finally JQuery to give it some nice effects.
    MySQL is only if you want or need a database. If you want users to create accounts you will need MySQL.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I would suggest learning a framework. I personally use Ruby on Rails and Sinatra because I prefer Ruby over PHP. However, if you still want to learn PHP (which is a very useful skill on it's own) there are frameworks such as CakePHP and CodeIgniter, which I only took a quick glace at, and I heard it's good.

The advantage of working with a framework is that it gives you direction. All too often, people get intimidated because they don't what where to begin. Learning a framework helps you get started. It teaches you good practise (or at least better practise for the most part). Best of all, it allows you to code faster, much faster.

One of the greatest feature is that many of these frameworks comes with an ORM, or at least ORM ready. What this means to you? You only need to know little to no SQL code to start your database models. Hell, I don't remember the last time I had to use SQL code for the early parts of the project, if ever. I still use SQL code for more complex queries, but I think you could get away without knowing it till you feel like taking on something bigger. SQL is something easy to screw up, and when you do, you lose a lot of information, or leave open very bad security vulnerabilities. In the end, I don't know how to live without an ORM.

As for HTML and CSS, you have to learn it, and no why to get around it. I personally use HTMLdog.com. It's much more pretty, less errors and the ads don't get in the way like in W3Schools. I still use the references pages to this day in case I forgot the right synonym. jQuery and Javascript could be put on hold if you want as it's really an extra. Especially when you are first started learning these languages.

Remove Ads