Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: No more flash?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    So as i am still learning how to create better websites, I have been seeing more websites witch seem to use flash. When you click on there website they have a loader witch is animated, and then it loads the page and displays it. So my question is, are they still using flash or can all this be down with javascript and jquery?

Any place i can read and get more information on making flash/interactive websites?
    "ON TIME, ON TARGET, NEVER QUIT"

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It may not be flash... More and more people are creating their sliders, galleries, animated slideshows using jQuery and CSS. Sure your still gonna run into sites that still utilize flash, as there is a reason behind using it, games are a good reason for using flash, videos are another reason... Much easier and more efficient to produce them in flash and when people visit those sites they kinda expect to have to install something ( flash player ), if they don't already have it installed.

Here's the problem with flash in general.

1. They REQUIRE the user to download and install a plugin just to see content.
    2. Search engine generally don't read the text inside flash
    3. Apple products don't display flash
    4. If not done properly, flash can cause memory buffer overruns ( crashing browsers and PC's )
    5. Flash ( sites ) can't be indexed by search engines ( see # 2 )

More and more developers are recreating elements that were previously done in flash in jquery because they don't require the user to install anything, all the links are searchable and indexable, no worries about crashing the browser, and if done properly ( CSS ), are completely cross browser compatible.

With apple products increasing in numbers, this makes the site and everything accessible to to most amount of browsers.

Flash, if used for small elements don't break the site, and are pretty much ignored if the user doesn't or can't install the flash player.

Remove Ads