Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Retain URL?

Member #
    I recently obtained a URL through ipage but was not satisfied with their web design tools
    so I closed the account. How can i retain use of the URL if I wish to use a differrent web host? additionally, is there any way to build a web site without the need of a host?
    As to build the site independently and then acquire a host. Jackd

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Depends on their agreement with you pertaining to the host.

Some use that as a way to attract people to use their services... But it comes down to their agreement with you. Typically domain names belong to them and they let you use them along with their services, but won't let you take it with you.

Domain names can be had for less than $10 a year and they are pretty much a lease... As long as you pay for it you can use it.

As for running a website without hosting... Depends on what you mean... If you are running just a test site or a local web site for something like a company intranet, you can run that from a pc located on you local network. Most every windows pc has the ability to run a simple web server, web designers tend to use IIS ( built into windows ), or download a simple web server software for their needs.

Many developers use a package called WAMP to have access to several other components used in hosting sites typically found on Linux based servers.

If you want to make your site available to the world, youre gonna be better off using a good "paid hosting" company... Free hosting tends to have a lot of issues. Many decent hosting providers can be found for under $4 a month.

Remove Ads