Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have created a basic landing page for my personal domain. It's basic purpose is to tell people a bit about myself and to link to my other sites, as well as a contact form. It looks pretty good ATM, but I feel like it's missing something. My friends all agree. Does anyone have any idea what I need? Some sort of graphic in the top right was what came to mind.

My landing page

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    "You can see some of my work on the left" ... right side?

Don't use the word "hobby" and don't use the word "whatever".
    And eliminate "Why not"? Don't tell people they're stupid. People looking for
    a website or help with their websites already know why they are seeking help.

Describe what you do, without any personal information about yourself.

Describe what you can do for a business needing a website, troubleshooting, or consultation.

Don't discuss your fees or "that you are reasonable". That part gets discussed when a client
    contacts you and tells you what they need. The requirements of the client may change
    what you think is reasonable.

There are a gazillion people that "will a create a website" for you. There are also really
    good hosts that create the website for you automatically, like Intuit/Homestead.
    What can you do better than anyone else? What is your niche?

I suggest you specialize in one thing you do best. Whether that is creating a mobile
    website version for an existing website, or customizing WordPress, Joomla, or some
    other CMS, or JQuery, AJAX ...
    "I can make a cheap website for you" -- is not enticing.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but everyone has a nephew, or "a guy they know"
    that does websites. You can't be one of those if you expect to get clients.

Member #
    Thanks for your suggestions, but I honestly wasn't looking for advice on the content. I was looking for advice on the design and what I can do to spruce it up.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    My advice was on sprucing.

Member #
    I'm looking to make the design look better. I have implemented some of your suggestions as regards content, but apart from that, I want to know how to make the design better. All your suggestions related to the content. If it would help you, I can make another version with a bunch of Lorem ipsum so you can focus on the design.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    What is your strong area?
    Do you have photoshop and are you good at graphics?
    I think a better banner (logo) would be a good start.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So the 2 other sites listed there have designed by free CSS templates ... Hmmmmmm .

That explains a lot.

Your design is simplistic at best, if that is the look you're going for, you've nailed it.. Except for line spacing... Most going after that look use a 1.5 em spacing just to add some space between the lines of text.

Proper use of graphics show "design" capabilities... Your color options are a little lacking.. You need to find a bold color that works with your current colors and use it spareingly.

As for the content, I honestly don't think the hobby comment is appropriate... I mean, yeah it explains a lot, but if you really are looking to pick up a gig or something using this as a showcase... The only people that might contact you for a potential job, would be someone looking for a minimalist look, or someone looking for a "cheap" designer, because of your hobby content.

Member #
    OK, to clarify a few things. As Webzarus noticed, I can't design. Period. Even this "custom" page was made after considering other people's work. But then, what did you expect? I'm on a web design forum, right? As to the hobby part, it is gone, and I've added a new final section.

@Webzarus - I am indeed going for a simplistic design. I have added some extra line spacing, as suggested.

Overall, though, what I'm looking for is some kind of "decoration" for the page. As I mentioned in my first post, I was thinking of adding some kind of image to the top right. Again, I can't design, and that includes logos.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Let's go back to the first post ... what your site needs.
    I think you can understand that we can't really answer that.
    What I think and what someone else thinks will be two different answers.

You have to decide what style of page design fits you. If you are a minimalist,
    then start with a white blank page and tell the site visitor what you are about.

Maybe you can get some inspiration from others:
    http://spyrestudios.com/40-amazing-m...r-inspiration/
    http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/inspir...s-inspiration/

The only graphic image you would need is a nice logo, and that can be simple too.
    Maybe you can find a friend who has photoshop and knows how to use it?

NOTE:
    I'm actually like you ... the only graphic software I have is MS Paint.
    I don't have any idea of how to use photoshop. My website can't get
    any more plain (see my link in the signature). I found my niche and I
    get emails constantly. And the internet has nothing to do with my real job.
    Webzarus and D. Strout like this.

Member #
    OK, thanks for that. I know that everyone will have different ideas, and that's really what I am looking for. This is, of course, my site, so though everyone might have a different idea, I am the one who decides.

As to a logo, I know that would be good, but as I said, that's not my area of expertise. I did have an idea, though. I was thinking a 2D gray globe with my header on top of it. Where the text actually touched the globe, it would be white, but the rest would be gray like it is right now. This is something I could probably create. I can't properly visualize it in my head though, so I don't know if that will really be what I'm looking for.

Remove Ads