Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quite a long story but I will try bullet point to make it easy to read

• Me and my friend out source work to one another regularly ( I am a web dev/ she is designer)
    • I get a job at a big company in preston and get nicely paid for it
    • My boss mentioned on the off he thinks the website needs a new logo
    • I send it to her (out sourced) and agreed a fee of 200.00(which I didnt mind paying myself providing she did a good job..so that the company thought I have done it and we both win.)
    • The logo's come back and they are poor, really poor. Like she just added a line or a dot at the end of their current logo.
    • Boss doesnt like it and now she is demanding her money for doing the work.
    • I said to her there is not a sniff she is getting a penny for the work as it is so sub par.
    • We get into a massive argument and we fall out big time (we wont recover from this trust me)
    • We were currently working on 2 freelance projects as well at the same time. Now I have taken down there dev sites and refuse to give her the work (as its her client) as I know she wont pay me now for this.

Urgh I know kinda a weird situation. But basically she wants paying for work she did but it isnt up to standard which I would expect especially paying 200.00 for a logo!
    Any tips how to deal with this in the future or anything guys?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I would say .... nothing in writing, no contracts signed, only a verbal agreement ....
    she won't get paid. In the U.S., she could take you to small claims court (like Judge Judy),
    and attempt to get a settlement. That would be her only recourse. I don't know what happens
    in the U.K.

I realize the collaboration is over, but maybe you and her can agree to you finishing her client's
    site and call it even. No money involved. Get someone to mediate if necessary.

It's sad that it got to that point in the first place. I would think most graphic designers would
    at least provide a few rough drafts so the client can get an idea of where it's going. There would
    also be some sort of agreement on 1/2 now, 1/2 when done. If the rough drafts were not going
    to even be close, and no solution is made, the designer keeps the first half. That probably
    doesn't happen very often though.

Have your boss escrow some money into 99designs and see what a whole bunch of
    designers might come up with: http://99designs.com/

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Well the thing was. There was nothing signed nothing only the occasional email between us but it was all verbal over the phone.

When I saw the logos at first I was like sh!t these are bad. We had so much work on at the time I said to her just take the 200.00 from my half on one of the projects and she agreed

Further down the line those projects havent paid yet (only like 4 weeks since we agreed) and I wake up to an invoice from her saying she wants to be paid full amount in 7 days. I didnt mind letting her keep the extra 200 in a project sum of money as they pay her and she just forwards over money for me, but I dont want to now py her 200 if this money from the clients arnt coming in.

Urgh she is so annoying ><.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Friendship is friendship... Business is business

Plain and simple, if you can't seperate the 2 this is a classic example of what can happen.

I have several business relationships that have turned in to personal friendships, but when it comes to business, we still use our contracts. If the contracts aren't fulfilled... Then it's not a personal thing... It's a business thing.

Just wondering... Why in the world won't she re-do the logos? Or better yet, now that you've been caught playing with company funds... Why would you submit work done by someone else as your own... Without looking at it... Or just saying... Hey... Wait a minute... This isn't what we agreed upon...

But no, you subbed it out, expecting to take credit for someone else's work... But you got called on it, and now your striking back at her...

If she did the work you contracted her to do and then accepted it as complete ... She should get paid... Unless of course you had an agreement in the beginning... "if they don't like the logo, you need to re work it"... But I suspect you were just so overcome by an opportunity to take credit for someone else's work.. You just assumed your bosses would take whatever you provided.

Pay her, put the other stuff back up so she can continue to work... When those jobs are done... Shake hands and walk away...

From what you've said... YOU are the only one that was not on he up and up with your bosses...

I suspect your bosses probably may have guessed you weren't doing the work... And threw this curve all at you ...

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    @[SIZE=11px]Webzarus[/SIZE] Its not like that at all mate. Basically the bosses suggested they would like a new logo designing for their website. There wasnt any contract or anything needed they just thought it would be nice. I thought as a friend I would out source it to her and see what she could do. I told her what I wanted and what the current logo is like and it was poorly dilvered and notat a standard nearly worth 200.00.

I didnt think 'oh she can do it all and I will get credit', I have been working and developing the website for months now. I was hoping to show the bosses something which they would like and in turn I could give her some money for it, but it was elementary stuff..it was a very poor logo!

And finally, its not company funds! Its my wage I was paying her.

We agreed together as we do a lot of work together that one of our sideline projects which I had quoted 900 for she can take out 200.00 from that as it is her client and she was happy about it. That was the agreement.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I guess this part didn't really sink-in with me:
    "...so that the company thought I have done it and we both win."

That does sound somewhat self-preserving. I still think you and her should
    still finish the other project and walk away. A lesson well learned by both.

=========

EDIT, since we crossed posted ...
    How much work is left on the other project?
    Is it something you can finish and be done with?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    "...so that the company thought I have done it and we both win."

Yeah I probably worded that wrong. I meant the company would get a good logo and she would get some money out of it.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    How much work is left on the other project?
    Is it something you can finish and be done with?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Probably around 6-8 hours work. The project was quoted at 2000 and the client paid her the first deposit.

It was on schedule to be completed for Monday but now it wont be done in time for that I doubt.

Regardless of what you lot may think, this logo was poor lol, and 200.00 is ridiculous.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Hmmm ....
    Is there anyone that you both know that could somehow mediate this?
    Get an agreement that you will finish the current project and like you said,
    she can just cut the 200 out of that? I realize you're getting the short-end
    of the stick, but you'll be better off emotionally to get this over with.
    I think removing the stress and weight of this problem is worth 200.
    We've spent an hour now just talking about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads