Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello,

I was wondering if there is some way to find different websites with similar design... like quickly ;-)
    Maybe some kind of search engine?

Also. If you know similar sites to mailchimp.com or zendesk.com, let me know.
    I appreciate every tip I can get!

Thanks a lot!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I don't think there is a search engine specifically for design similarities...

Since the are literally thousands or ways to accomplish the exact same design layout.

Interesting concept, but just thinking about how to accomplish something like that makes my head hurt...

Sorry

Member #
    Hehe. Don't worry. I saw search engines to find similar pictures. So I guess it could be possible to find similar designs too...

Thanks anyway Webzarus

PS: I still try to find similar designs to mailchimp or zendesk... ;-)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    One of my new projects is actually a search engine, built one years ago as a concept project, to try and better understand how search engines work....

Simplistic as they may seem... There is a lot more to them that what most people think... I know what I put into my indexer... Taking code, sifting through it... Looking for word and phrase groups, then assigning a value to each one, and comparing to what's already in the DB... Can only begin to think of dropping all the content and try defining nothing but layout components and defining them ... Interesting concept...

For a company that has billions in revenue to throw at a project... Image recognition and classification is not a big deal...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 231041
    One of my new projects is actually a search engine, built one years ago as a concept project, to try and better understand how search engines work....
    Out of interest - do you use data feeds in your search engines?

(I'm looking at using pricetapestry to create an engine using XML feeds from merchants, but have been recommended that due to the size of the files I may encounter storage and bandwidth issues with a hosting company and will be better off with my own server...)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Nope... My own DB holds everything... Seperate machine for crawling and indexing ... 3 rd machine to process the DB data and create optimized DB based on previous search results ... Update the visible DB 1 time a week right now...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 231746
    Nope... My own DB holds everything... Seperate machine for crawling and indexing ... 3 rd machine to process the DB data and create optimized DB based on previous search results ... Update the visible DB 1 time a week right now...
    Sounds cool. I'm also looking to create a search engine. Is it difficult?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 231772
    Sounds cool. I'm also looking to create a search engine. Is it difficult?
    That would depend on your level of knowledge and how you intend to approach the project.

There are ready made plugins you can use, such as price tapestry, if you're more a designer than a programmer.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eif media, post: 231794
    That would depend on your level of knowledge and how you intend to approach the project.

There are ready made plugins you can use, such as price tapestry, if you're more a designer than a programmer.
    Well, it would help me learn stuff... and I could put Google out of business.
    Just kidding about that last one though hehe :P

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I and actually built several small ( site level ), crawlers and indexers years ago... Actually crawls the content each time the script is called... Only problem with that was with all the dynamic content.. Those scripts mainly looked at content... If a variable in the string had to be sent... It was hit or miss...

I ran across a free search script called sphider. A couple of years ago... Got some really good ideas from it... ( I think they now have a free and a paid version ), was tempted to purchase the paid version just to see what changes they made... Might still do it...

I guess you could say mine is "roughly based" on sphider... But then again.. Depending on how you determine that... Mine is more roughly based on "name your search engine"... As I've been studying their behaviours for years... Taking bits and pieces from discussions with search engineers, etc...

That's when I decided and put things in place where each function ( crawler, indexer, DB , ranking programs, user interface ) are all seperate... The user interface and optimized DB are the only things visitors will ever see ( use ), all the other stuff will stay behind my firewall...

It's been a great learning experience... ( still ongoing )...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads