Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Templates

Member #
    If I use a wordpress or html 5.0 template, as a web-designer, am I allowed to put my name on the template at the bottom of my client's new page (customized and set up by me)?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you created the template... Why not... But if you just installed it... Or mad mods to it ???

I guess if you pay for the template... You can do whatever the designer allows you to based on the purchase agreement...

What is bad taste is to take someone else's template that they worked hours on ... Remove their credits and put yours on... Especially if they provide the template for free with explicit instructions of you can use for free as long as you leave their credits in place.

Doesn't say much about you as a designer if you do that either... Actually, doesn't say much about you as a designer if you're using someone else's work, and trying to take any credit for it. Possibly, if you made some serious changes you might say : implemented or Mod by: , but that's about all you can really claim credit for anyway...

Just my opinion though...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 231204
    If you created the template... Why not... But if you just installed it... Or mad mods to it ???

I guess if you pay for the template... You can do whatever the designer allows you to based on the purchase agreement...

What is bad taste is to take someone else's template that they worked hours on ... Remove their credits and put yours on... Especially if they provide the template for free with explicit instructions of you can use for free as long as you leave their credits in place.

Doesn't say much about you as a designer if you do that either... Actually, doesn't say much about you as a designer if you're using someone else's work, and trying to take any credit for it. Possibly, if you made some serious changes you might say : implemented or Mod by: , but that's about all you can really claim credit for anyway...

Just my opinion though...
    Agreed 100%

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    If I use a wordpress or html 5.0 template, as a web-designer, am I allowed to put my name on the template at the bottom of my client's new page (customized and set up by me)?
    Morally ? NO !

But can you do it?
    Absolutely !

Just put your link - use "maintained by" or some thing like that. Dont say "designed by" if it is not your theme/design.

Cheers

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Only... If... You do not REMOVE the designed by credits... If you are using a template that is free on the condition you leave the link in place...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    And again I have to say... If you claim to be a designer... Why do you want your name on someone else's work.

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery... But until you have seen your designs hijacked and claimed by lazy designers ... It's real easy to sit back and tell others to take credit for something that is not theirs.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Would that also apply if you are building child themes over WP Twentyeleven? I'm in the middle of that right now and would like to put my name on it but I don't want to break any ethics codes out there. I definitely see where you are coming from and I agree.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not sure about the theme you're talking about, but as long as you leave he original designers credits in place if they require you to...

I know I've seen some that say... Free to do with as you please... But the designers credits are embedded in the CSS file...

Personally, if I take and use anyone's code, even a partial one, if they have some sort of credits in the code, I leave it.

I haven't used anyone's design templates in many, many years, but when I did, I left their credits based on their wishes.

Maybe that's just me...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Twentyeleven is the default theme that ships with WordPress
    Alanna Baxter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Ok, so I'm good there then. Thanks, Shovenose. I'm ashamed to admit this but I did this very same thing on one of the first sites I built. I've since handed the site back to the clients so I no longer have access to it. If I'm ever asked to do any updates on it I'll correct the problem. In the meantime, it's been a lesson learned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads