Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi All,

I've never had a website, and need advice on how to proceed. I do retouching, illustration and CGI for print advertising. I want to have a site that shows my work, but it needs to be uber stylish, sophisticated, and refined, because my current and potential clients are advertising agencies, production studios, and marketing firms. Having a junior varsity website in that space is not a good idea. It's a tall order, one that I've been avoiding for a longtime, out of fear of effing it up. I need a little shove, a kick in the rear, a point in the right direction.

Q: Where should I start?
    Q: What are my options?
    Q: What would the price range be?
    Q: Is starting with a flash template, and modifying a bit, an option given my given my needs?

There are a few sites that are really inspiring to me, have just the right flavor that I'm looking for, but I don't know if I can post those links here. I wouldn't want to feel the wrath of the ban hammer on my first post.

Thanks!

-Julian

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Post those sites you like without the "www." ... like google.com
    JulianBoolean likes this.

Member #
    I've supplied links in the manner described, thanks for the assistance.

1. This site has exactly the feel, style (and sound) I want. It also shows the original image underneath the retouched image, if the viewer mouses over the photo. That is a must have ingredient for me.
    addnoise dot net

2. This one isn't bad for a CMS flash template, but doesn't have the rollover function (before/after) I need. The person I spoke with at M o t o t e m p l a t e s said that the template is designed to be edited, and I could create the rollover function.
    h...t... t.... p..... ://templates.motocms.com/flash-photo-gallery-templates-type/33991.html

3. What I like about this presentation is the small source images are displayed, and consistent placing of a narrative describing the process, the goals, etc.
    electricart.com.au/index.php

Thanks again

- Julian

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Are you sure you want to go with a Flash site?
    Just curious, because Flash isn't supported on some smartphones (and not on iPad/iPhone?)

Getting a great Flash site like that ... either you have all the Macromedia software and
    are experienced at Flash, or you hire someone. I'm guessing at a high cost.

HTML5 is not fully supported yet, especially with older browsers, but that will be the
    "new Flash" in 2012-2013 ... supported by everyone eventually.

electricart.com.au is a JQuery based site (javascripting and PHP).

Before you decide, find someone with an iPhone/smartphone and visit all of your listed sites.
    See if any of them provide a mobile rendition of their site, or how the work on your mobile device.
    An iPad/Kindle Fire, etc. would be nice to test also.

Member #
    Cool, I will reconsider flash, and will do a drive by all those sites with my i phone. I forgot about the feud that Jobs had with flash.

Question: Is it possible to do the mouse rollovers I want without flash?

Member #
    If anybody out there is still listening,

I've decided to stick with doing a flash website. My target audience won't likely be viewing my site on cell phones or tablets. They are ad pros, most likely viewing on desktop Macs or laptops during daytime working hours. I'm kind of digging this CMS Flash Template, I've fiddled around with the demo version, and it's something I can figure out how to modify intuitively.

templatemonster.com/flash-cms-templates/28980.html

So I guess I need :
    1. A domain name registered.
    2. A hosting provider that can do PHP v. 5.2.1 or Higher, and Zend Optimizer v3.3 or higher (whatever that means)

Q: Any other part of the process I'm missing?
    Q: After I build/modify the template, how do I upload the whole enchilada? How does it go "Live"
    Q: If I want to add images or update my website content once in a while how does that work?

Thanks in advance for all the assistance, it's very much appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    More and more business are just outright blocking flash... 3 of my clients I manage firewalls are... Why ?

1. Flash is used for many video formats ( blocking reduces time wasters abilities to kill hours online watching videos ).

2. Bulk of gaming sites are done in flash ( same reasoning as above ).

3. Rash outbreak of Trojan deployments are done utilizing flash and it's ability to mask activeX components.

A properly designs site will offer other content and serve it up if the flash player is not detected.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Virtually any design you could think is possible with Javascript and CSS. Google+ does some amazing things (such as the effect you get when sorting your friends into circles). Of course, doing everything in javascript is generally more complicated. But I think it's well worth it.

You should not ignore the mobile market at all. I know for fact that many executives in large business surf the web on their mobile devices, and iPad seem to be particularly popular at the businesses I worked with. If someone mentions your name, these executives are not going to write it down and remember to look it up later, they will do it right there, at their favourite Tim Horton's. If they can't see your website, they will think "Oh well," and google search the next guy. Your business is not unique nor has weak competition.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    When you subscribe to a webhost account, you'll be given access to a control panel.
    You can set-up an FTP account to allow you to use FileZilla (free, search on google)
    to transfer files back and forth between your PC and website.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JulianBoolean, post: 231356
    Cool, I will reconsider flash, and will do a drive by all those sites with my i phone. I forgot about the feud that Jobs had with flash.

Question: Is it possible to do the mouse rollovers I want without flash?
    You can do mouseovers and all sorts of nifty things with javascript. It's easier to code (less time=less expensive", easier to update, and much more device friendly.
    Check into JQuery and see the many great image display/manipulation effects you can get.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads