Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone! I am new to the forum but did some reading and it nice to see a community of people helping each other out. I am a novice web designer but i like to learn. I would like to be able to build my own custom ecommerce site so then i would have the ability to edit, update and so on at my convience. Not someone elses. So I am here to try and find out what kind of software or type of website i should start to learn to build a shopping cart like this http://www.canvasondemand.com/order/canvases/ . Everyone i have talked to just told me that it is a custom cart but couldn't offer me any advice on where to begin. I know its probably out of my current knowledge but i was hoping for help to gain that knowledge. Any advice or tutorials or books would be much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Josh

ps. Just to show that i can build a website i built this one about 1yr ago. http://www.slocountysigns.com/

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Ok... So you are familiar with HTML and CSS ( links underneath the banner don't work on an iPhone )...

To build an ecommerce site you'll need to know a scritping language ( asp / asp.net or php ), php being the really big language with tons of support... You'll need to know how to setup a MySQL DB , and then learn how to tie the php and MySQL together... The one final step is integrating a payment processor into all of if... There are tons of tutorials and examples on how to tie in pay pal, but for any other payment processor , you'll need to either use a pre-built or go directly to the payment processor and see if they have an API and integration scripts.

The last part is what gets most developers ( why most free shopping cart sites are built around pay pal )...

Anytime you collect customer information ( even just basic information ), you'll need to have better than just basic security and make sure your SQL scripts are protected against script injections.

Suggest you download and install one or more of the other free scripts... To see how some of its done... Then build it out our way...

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    You might be able to use any reputable ecommerce software as a backend. I highly recommend you do that because you don't want some hacker stealing your costumer's credit card just because you don't know all the security loop holes.

However, the frontend has to be customized if you want to recreate that Canvas order website. This is done mostly with Javascript. I also recommend you learning how to use jQuery because it will make life much more easier.

Of course you should have a better understanding of HTML and CSS. Your website is a coding mess.

Member #
    Thanks guys. I am wanting to learn. So i should look into learning php. I have dabbled with it a little when i wrote my own script for the contact form. It looked a little complicated but as anything i just need to read and practice. Kayo that is a good idea with using a ecommerce software for the backend. Do you recommend any i should look into. Theres tons. Thanks for the heads up on my coding that site. I built it dreamweaver when i was learning. Any other tips or things i should look into? Anything helps tons! Another option if i can't figure it out is it a good idea to have a freelance webdesigner build the cart and i just do all the other parts to the site or is that not really realistic? Thanks

Josh

Remove Ads