Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    How did you all first start learning web design? Was it a book? Online tutorials? What did you learn first and what was your progression?

I am proficient with HTML and CSS, and I am currently reading a beginning book on PHP. I really want to increase my graphics skills as well though. Any good recs for tutorials especially on Photoshop for designing for the web? I was thinking about watching the PS videos on lynda.com...

Member #
    I read a book called Head First XHTML and CSS. After that I to http://net.tutsplus.com/ and tried to catch up on things the book might not have covered.Which is also has some PS tutorials. Also I've read it's a little easier if you start on javascript after HTML and CSS which is what I'm doing now. I think I'm going to start on jQuery or Javascript. Did you read something different, or can tell me the reason that you're going to PHP?

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I once tried w3schools, but that website was messy, and has numerous errors. My personal favourite is HTMLdog.com, and I still use it to this day as a reference.

I got into the more advance stuff such as javascript and Ruby on Rails when I found out my college provides me free access to Lynda.com, and I been using it ever since.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by karrma, post: 231666
    I read a book called Head First XHTML and CSS. After that I to http://net.tutsplus.com/ and tried to catch up on things the book might not have covered.Which is also has some PS tutorials. Also I've read it's a little easier if you start on javascript after HTML and CSS which is what I'm doing now. I think I'm going to start on jQuery or Javascript. Did you read something different, or can tell me the reason that you're going to PHP?
    I am more interested in working with a server-side language to create applications and work with databases, etc. and perhaps develop custom Wordpress themes eventually. Basically, JS would be used to spruce up applications created using PHP. Also, from what I can tell, PHP is a more sought-after skill in the marketplace. You might find this link helpful. Good luck.
    DanExcell likes this.

Member #
    ah! thanks muchacho. I think i'm going to start with PHP then. I'll pm you if I find good information. You do the same.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sounds good. Actually, check out this site for awesome video tutorials on all programming languages. I've just started the PHP series, and it is very helpful thus far... http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php

Member #
    Thanks!! I'll start it tonight.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    For I learn from my colleagues at work they are good at design so I ask them if they could teach me how and when I picked it up I go online like watching some tutorials from video sources like youtube
    Your cool Web Design and Web Development resources

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I can recommend Lynda.com. Have been using it for close to a year now and have learned a lot. I started out with Dreamweaver then Wordpress. I'm working on PHP as well right now and I'm using w3school for that but I'll check out the above links that were referenced also! Thanks for that!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I took beginning HTML classes in college while going after an English degree about 15 years ago, and then took all the Internet type classes I could squeeze in, plus working in Computer labs and learning the different software for 4 years. I took a quarter of programming but decided that wasn't my area of expertise due to the fact I'm right brained (an artist who flunks algebra). After college instead of following a writing career I started building websites for friends or volunteering my services on non-profit sites and got more clients by word-o- mouth. Books are pretty useless in this industry because by the time they are published they are out of date so I learned HTML from online tutorials on the web. This was before CSS or CMS was popular so I learned to write code by hand. Now my speciality is fixing crippled websites that were designed in CMS programs (full of code bloat or other problems).
    DanExcell likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads