Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I work for an investment advisory firm and I am trying to research the costs and time daily time involvement of building our own client access, that would allow clients to securely log in to our company website to see account specific data.

Here is a short run down. We have a portfolio management system that exports a .XML file of releveant data points such as multiple time periods for performance, account values, specific holdings etc. One of the biggest complications of this data is it exports performance on monthly intervals, so if a years worth of performance is computed you'll have to compound the monthly values. In some cases depending on cash flows, these month intervals may be broken down in even smaller time periods, which would have to also be compounded. I believe the most labor intensive part of this process would be the development of the coding to accurately compute performance for the time periods we select.

We have found a firm that specializes in this type of website design and integration with our portfolio management system. I feel their prices are reasonable, but I just need to do my due diligence. So I would like opinions of the one time costs(including the cost of a designer), the recurring costs, and the daily time investment necessary for these processes. I cannot reiterate enough how important security is for this purpose. Thank you for all the help, if I have left anything out please let me know.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I honestly don't have enough knowledge to know what to answer, but I think if you were to
    view the web development firm's references and portfolio, that would give you the confidence
    you need to go ahead with them.

There might be one or maybe two regular WDF users that have the professional development
    skills to know what the costs might be, but I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer this.

I'm going to guess that the quote they gave was 5 digits ... it sounds like a huge project to me.

Member #
    It's actually quite reasonable (around 7K implementation and a recurring 379 a month after implemented for up to 300 user accounts). Since the process really is so complicated, and our butts are on the line if we show clients wrong performance numbers things have to be accurate. I'm using this forum as a means to show the people in the firm who seem to be less sure of the decision what the alternative is.
    There are those who want to "do it ourselves" but I dont understand how thats different then going with this other company. They just luckily specialize in our systems, making our worries about calculating intervals less of an issue. In my mind (and this is just a guess) if we were to have to hire an independent developer it create the site, decipher the XML file, and create some type of easy interface where we novices can do this export/upload daily would cost maybe between 30-40K to get the system up and running. Beyond that data has to be updated daily, so I would imagine that the time it takes to do that process daily would cost us at least an hour of someones work day to do.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    What is the XML file used for?
    Is there a reason it's an XML file and not some other format?
    Just curious.

Member #
    you can export in .txt or .csv also. The file is just a large table of data

Remove Ads