Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I am taking a college web class and we have to create a website for a community center. This is due in April and the teacher gave us the opportunity to use Wordpress instead of designing the site from scratch.

Right now we're doing the easy part: choosing a theme from WP library.

I've used Wordpress for casual blogging and I know that we have to download the code but after that what are the quickest ways to modify the code? We are not that great at php coding.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    It all depends on how much time you are willing to put in. I consider myself pretty new at Wordpress also. Only been working with it steady for about a year or so. I have a couple of suggestions. First, decide what type of layout you want. Do you want it to be flexible? 2-Column? 3-Column? Flexible width? That sort of thing. Also I would suggest finding a theme that accommodates a customized background and header. That way, you only need to upload your own header picture and background. After that, the site really builds itself.

It would help to know a little more about the site and how much time you have to create it. I wouldn't get bogged down with code. Just concentrate on customizing it with a theme that allows that.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    The quickest way to modify the code is in Wordpress' built in editor.

That said, the best way to edit the code is to understand how it's structured and use and editor like Notepad++ to make the changes you need to.

A Wordpress theme is broken into numerous different files, but all of them will at least have header.php, index.php, footer.php, and loop.php. The only one that is absolutely required is index.php, as the code from the others can technically be included within it. I assume you can figure out what header and footer are about. Index contains the meat of the page, as well as including the other elements. Loop.php contains the code that outputs the blog posts. In a lot of cases, you won't even want to touch that one. The other files are essentially just variations of these 4, but with more specific purposes. The rest, my friend, is just CSS...
    Alanna Baxter likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Thanks for that, Ronald. I'm new to WP as well. I'm building a site right now with child themes. The first site I built with WP, I just hacked the php files--a very bad plan. If I have to update WP on that site all my customization will disappear. I presume that the index.php is the home page? You're right. It's helpful to actually know what the pages do. That way you know what you need to customize.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Short answer: yes, for the most part - assuming the blog is the main page. On my site, for instance, the blog page isn't the main page, so it's actually a page template that loads first.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deffvaltez, post: 231755
    Hello,

I am taking a college web class and we have to create a website for a community center. This is due in April and the teacher gave us the opportunity to use Wordpress instead of designing the site from scratch.

Right now we're doing the easy part: choosing a theme from WP library.

I've used Wordpress for casual blogging and I know that we have to download the code but after that what are the quickest ways to modify the code? We are not that great at php coding.

Thanks
    This is based on the level of intent or how serious you are about learning WP:

first and foremost you need to install WAMP if you have windows, LAMP if your are using Linux, or MAMP if you are a Mac person. the AMP acronym is for Apache, MySQL and Php. It's a one click install for Window and a bit more complicated for Mac, but easy enough. For Linux - it can be complicated, but if you are a regular user you already know the half of it. Once you have jumped that hurdle, You now have a local server on your system that you can use to dissect WP or any other CMS that is built with php.

I can take you through all of the other steps, but it would be like writing a novel truthfully. I've been using WP since 07, but I really sunk my teeth into it about three years ago when I built my first theme from scratchscreenshot.png

I wanted to do it the right way so I purchased a video tute from killersites for 30 bucks. I found it to be more valuable than the $30 bucks that it cost me. Most importantly it keeps everything simple. You can find a lot more tutorials out there, but this one worked for me.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Remove Ads