Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've been seeing wordpress everywhere I look. So how does it come in to play?
    I downloaded it, and I don't think you guys are talking about blogging . I see a lot of people talking about layouts. Although I went and downloaded a theme and opened up the CSS file. I mean is this what every one uses it for? Or is it more for the PHP or what? I'm confused. I mean wouldn't it be better to design your own layout and look, rather than just create a html page and link a pre-made stylesheet to it? Please shed some light on what everyone uses wordpress for and maybe a link to get me in the right direction.

-Kevin

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Wordpress is a Content Management System (CMS). Basically, it makes it very easy for someone to update their site and have the content stored. Think of how a blog works. You simply type into fields and enter the post. This same concept can apply to any sort of site. It's just a more convenient way for some to set up and power a site. For instance, you can develop a Wordpress theme for a client and run their site on the Wordpress platform, and then they can very easily make changes to their site in the future. Additionally, there are several plugins that can be added to a Wordpress site that can enhance it. I believe you need to download and install Wordpress and set up a local server on your machine in order to start developing Wordpress themes and/or plugins. This requires the use of HTML, CSS, PHP, and a bit of mySQL in some cases as far as I know. At least this is my understanding of how Wordpress works. Anyone please correct me on anything I am wrong about and elaborate. Hopefully this addressed your question

Member #
    Aight appreciate it. I actually finally got a good idea of what it was but you explained it better. I've got it downloaded but haven't installed it. And seeing as how I need to know PHP and mySQL then I'll most likely deal with that after our crash course in PHP. But thanks bro.

Remove Ads