Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone. Newbie to these forums here and I have a question.

I'm a freelance web designer and I just got a new contract. My Client started making her site in Dreamweaver by using one of Dreamweaver's templates and got fed up with it and decided to hire a web designer to finish (that's me). Problem is, when starting her site, my Client didn't define a new site in Dreamweaver and all of her files are all over the place (spread within 2 different folders) and her links are all absolute rather than site-root relative.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to deal with this. After creating a new site in Dreamweaver, is there anyway to import in web files and have Dreamweaver automatically move all the files that the imported file requires and change all the links accordingly? Or does anyone know of a better way to go about solving this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Nope...

Easiest way... If her links actually are correct

Create a new site... Dump all of her files into this folder... Then run the re-cache option...

Once that's done... You should be able to move files and folders... And DW will update the links... How do you know if it's working ? Once the site cache has been created... Create a single file.. On the root of the site... Create several links to other files... Save it...

Then move it to a different location... DW should prompt you to update links ? Say yes... Once its moved... Open it up and verify the links were re-written... Eithr the correct paths...

If they updated, then you're good, if not, from the edit site form... Re-cache again.

If you try moving anything with creating a site cache... DW won't know that the links need to be re-written.

Remove Ads