Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    My client needs the ability to sell gift certificates on their website like the one on this page http://danvillegardens.com/component...ms/Itemid,204/. It was designed by their previous website designer.

They want to have the customer fill out the information on the form and then be able to pay through Paypal. The information they fill out on the form is sent to my client so they know how to fill out the Gift Certificate and where to send it.

It looks like their previous designer used "facileforms" which is an app of Joomla, I think. I was hoping that PayPal could be set up to do this but it doesn't look like it (or I just don't know how). In PayPal I'm able to add drop downs to choose different amounts but I can't figure out how to make PayPal get the name, address and other information that my clients need.

Can you help me figure out another option?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    PayPal won't pass private info (name address etc., ) from one person to another. That would negate their whole privacy and security policy.

From what you've said, I assume you are the new webmaster, and that you are not going to continue to create the site in Joomla.

To do what you want in a "static" HTML/CSS website (as opposed to a CMS where there may be some kind of similar form module or plugin) you would have to set up a form like the one on the site to gather the information and e-mail it to your client, and integrate the PayPal payment.

The form they're using on the page you linked to is using a "POST" method, which says to me it is a PHP form. You'd code the form in the HTML, style it in the CSS, and the make a PHP file to process it.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Ok. I think I got it. I mean, I understand what you are saying. The only thing is that I would like to set it up so after the info is filled out and the customer clicks on "Pay Now" button it simultaneously takes the customer to the PayPal page to proceed with checkout and sends the form to my client.

Is that possible?

Member #
    I've used JotForm before. I just found that they have Payment Tools where you can add a PayPal button to do what I want to do. What are your thoughts on using JotForm?

Member #
    Ok, last one for tonight...this whole thing is a little exhausting. I've done some more reading on this and have come to the conclusion that the barrier to this is that there have to be two steps involved. 1) Getting the form information sent to my client and 2) Getting the customer to proceed to checkout. The only ways I found to overcome this barrier seem clunky at best and unstable at worst.

Some people have suggested using PayPal's API but have admitted that it's a bit unreliable. Other people have suggested having a two step procedure where you have the customer fill out the form with all their information and click "submit" that sends the form to my client and sends the customer to another page where they click the PayPal's "Pay Now" button and proceed to checkout.

Thoughts?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sara.ortiz, post: 232000
    I've used JotForm before. I just found that they have Payment Tools where you can add a PayPal button to do what I want to do. What are your thoughts on using JotForm?
    I've never heard of JotForm.

If you write your PHP file correctly, you can have it send the info to your client and then immediately redirect to the PayPal payment gateway. You'd have to go read about the PayPal redirect on their site - I believe they give you the code, and you should be able to integrate it into your form fairly easily.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As AM has pointed out, pay pal is just a payment processor, they really don't care about what you are selling, who you are selling it to, they just handle the payment process.

That being said, to keep their information secure... They don't share the clients contact info... But once the payment has been processes, they do email the owner of the pay pal account that a purchase has been made.

I setup something similar for a client a long time ago, the client was worried about the customers double entry... But when using pay pal... There really isn't another way... The client eventually put me in touch with their merchant account provider... They provided me their information and even had a help section on "collecting and sending processing data " ... Fill out the form once ... Send it.. Done. For security reasons, of course, you have to send all information with an SSL connection... No biggie though, getting and setting up a certificate on the site took about 30 minutes...

Check to see if your client has a "merchant account", if they accept credit cards, they have one... But not all merchant account providers have an online payment option... Many do though. Their fees are normally the same or cheaper than pay pal fees depending on the volume of transactions they have.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You also need a way to verify the gift certificate when the customer brings it in.
    Since they will pay online and be allowed to print it out, you have to make sure they
    don't print out 10 of them and hand them out to other people.

So at the store's cashiers, some sort of list that they can cross-reference and cross out
    the certificate that was redeemed. This part could be a hassle for the cashiers.
    That list also needs to be updated daily ... another hassle. You had better think this
    all the way through before spending too much time on it. Find out how the certificate
    will work from purchase to redeem.

If you decide to mail the certificates (normal USPS), you don't need the point of sale
    verification, but someone needs to physically print and mail them out. Customers
    will have to wait a few days to get their certificate. That might be an issue for some
    people. By direct printing (on the spot), your certificates could also be coupons, or
    some special online special. They don't necessarily have to be gift certificates only.
    Customers who spend over $100 could get a "next visit" thank you certificate in their email.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    One of the ones I did for clients was a "code"... In the form of a barcode... It was a "combination" of IP address, day, time, user name...

They were entered into the pos system... When purchased... But only a manager could redeem... And only after requesting an ID... Which was noted on the coupon when it was redeemed... The coupon also had it printed on it... User had to fill in and sign basic info before redemption... Once used it was flagged in the POS ... As redeemed... In about 3 years and several hundred gift certificates, they only had 1 gift certificate paid for online ... Try to be redeemed 2 times... And it turned out to be an employees family member trying to use one that had not been properly handled when it was redeemed.

There is always a chance "multiple prints"... Can and will happen... If you don't have checks and balances in place.

There use to be several providers of "gift cards" .. That handled everything for a flat rate of about 200 a year... And a small percentage of the values... They would generate the plastic gift cards that you could swipe like a credit card... Don't know if they are still around... But they were usually really slow...7-10 day turnaround...

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I agree with Webzarus. Forget about the gift certificate idea, but put some sort of
    special coupon on a random page of your website. Anyone who visits your site online
    could print it out and bring it with them. No CC transactions or POS verification needed.

By the way, what is your client selling? What kind of business do they own?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads