Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all - I'm trying to teach myself on how to create shopping baskets - as a client is trying to add one to their website, this is a first for me and any help would be wonderful! The client has seen a basket on africaodyssey.com which they would like to replicate on their site. It is a non paying, more to just add the selection to a basket for viewing later. I am really at an end on where to start..thanks in advance. JP

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I'm afraid what you're asking and hoping for is a simple answer to a very complex question.

1. What is you skill level ?
    2. Do you know any server side scripting languages ? Asp ? Php ?
    3. Do you have any knowledge of using a DB ?
    4. How much time are out working with for implementation ?
    5. How many items are you planning on using the cart for ?

The simplest of carts for only a few items would probably be best done just using static pages witha simple pay pal checkout button...

If clients should be able to select multiple items... You will need some sort of scritping language to store their selections in a DB with...

If you want customers to register before ordering... Again a DB would be the best way to handle that.

Now if you're talking lots of items... Then a DB is the only way to go, but you'll need an admin section for managing it ( putting in new items, changing and managing item descriptions and pricing )...

Are you expecting to handle the payment transactions on the site or do you have a payment processor in mind ? Many businesses that already accept credit cards also have what is called a merchant account... Some provide their business customers with an online portal for accepting payments from their web site... But you will. We'd to work with them on implementation...

Since each install is complete different... The more info you can share... The more answers you're liable to get.

Member #
    Hi,
    My skill level is mediocre - I create simple websites for clients with nothing to technical. I also understand a bit of PHP. I may confused you in my first post - what I'm try to achieve for my client is as follows.. They operate a few tourist camps where we live, and they would like the client or web user to be able to click on "lodge A" and it sends the lodge information to a "basket" as such where they can congregate their favorite lodges and then at the end of their session, select their basket with their favorite camps and email the list to themselves or send of an inquiry to the lodge owners about their selected favorite camps..the owners have around 60 different camps that they would like a user to be able to add to the favorites section ( basket ) I understand the very basics of DB but I'm looking for tutorials and learn quickly. Many thanks for your reply and help.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So you're looking for a comparison tool ? Basket infers purchasing something ...

I guess you could use a basket scenario...

Member #
    A comparison tool.. yes!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You'll need to use PHP and MySQL is any case ... to store user favorite.
    Either the user logs-in, which you'll need to user/member database,
    or their favorite is saved on a cookie ... on their computer only.

Do you wish to store them and the information as a logged-in member,
    or store their selections in a cookie?

Member #
    I would like the user's favorite to be stored as a cookie, there will be no logging in on this site.. thanks for your help.

Remove Ads