Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello All!

I am working on a website for a client that wants to integrate a digital magazine into their site. They already have the PDFs they want to make the pages with. The issue that I am running into is finding the software to convert the PDF to a SWF (or other) file, that is not only sleek looking, but affordable within the budget of the project.

I am open to all and any suggestions because after days of searching online I have found nothing...

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    393 times
    What do they mean by "integrate".

Can you show us their existing site, and what the PDF might look like ... and what integrate means to them.

Member #
    There is no existing site- i am creating it from scratch. By integrate, i mean that they want a simple html page with a digital magazine (it can be flash or dynamic html or whatever else possible) that will allow people to flip through their catalog. The catalog does not need to link or produce orders, its just a simple flip animation that the want to have on the site so they can show their products and get more people calling in to order or coming into the skating rink.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    If Flash is the way you want to go i will list a few links below that provide free and paid tools you can implement for this project. You can also use JQuery tabs for that gallery like effect depending on how much content they want to list. Doing it from scratch requires Actionscript knowledge, which is not hard once you get a good grasp on it.

http://flashnifties.com/

http://www.flashcomponents.net/

http://jqueryui.com/demos/tabs/

pdf to flash
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Since PDFs can be created from numerous sources, the PDFs create a visual copy of what the source is... I don't think you will find a PDF to swf converter... But with the right tools ( depending on how the PDF was created originally ), you can export images and text from a PDF.

Flash is on the end of its cycle, pretty much everything that was previously done in flash can be done in HTML and CSS and if needed for effects jquery...

Member #
    Liked
    842 times
    I agree - jQuery over Flash.

Check this out:
    http://www.jquery.info/scripts/jFlip/demo.html

or this:
    http://flippingbook.com/ - check out the demos.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

M.A. Bell

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site

info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    199 times
    Adobe Illustrator will convert PDF to SWF. Not sure if fonts will be preserved, though. You may wind up with a huge file in the end.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    @ Alphamare & Webzarus:

I agree with Flash being at the end of it's cycle. However, JQuery can't touch Flash when it comes to animations. I see Adobe Edge moving into that space Flash use to occupy. Edge consists of HTML5 CSS3 and raw JS.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    764 times
    Oh, I agrees 100 % that jquery and CSS can't replace 100% of what flash can do, but for about 95% of the flash that is used on the web for navigation, small snippets, and many sites that are create wight the out of the box flash site creators... They can be easily reproduced.

I don't doubt adobe has come out with something to utilize html5, why not capatilize on more wysiwyg madness.

@smosley - thanks , I'll have to remember that.. But then again I don't know many people that will spend that kind of money on Ai. I just got access to a copy of photoshop cs5, I guess I'll need to install that beast to see what it can do, the old version would do PDF to PSD, and it only kept the fonts intact if they were embedded font ( which rarely happened with my clients )... They always created their PDF's with their scanner... (image based PDF's).

Member #
    Liked
    842 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 232772
    @ Alphamare & Webzarus:

I agree with Flash being at the end of it's cycle. However, JQuery can't touch Flash when it comes to animations. I see Adobe Edge moving into that space Flash use to occupy. Edge consists of HTML5 CSS3 and raw JS.
    I've downloaded a free trial of Edge - I'll play with it a bit and see how it goes, could be fun if nothing else. I'm always looking for a way to play on the computer without getting any paying work done! LOL .

There seems to be no mention of a final selling price for Edge - any input on that? That would be a big factor in my deciding which way to jump. Right now I'm taking javascript at my local College - took the Intro course last year, the next level (very simple, calendars and such) in Sept 1022, and now I'm in level 2 - more complex and more fun. I'm very lucky in that the College has people teaching this stuff who actually use it in real life, and are pretty much current with developments.

So if Adobe prices Edge the way they have their other products, I'll probably keep on with the DIY.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

M.A. Bell

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site

info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast