Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I recently completed a college course in web design and I now have a website that I created individually and a Wordpress page that my group created. The teacher wants us to complete our portfolio and will select students for an on campus job.

Before taking this course I designed websites for a church and a music group. Both sites are down but I still retain the original files. What are the best ways to gain credit for those sites? If I were to place thumbnail images on my portfolio, visitors would expect to visit the actual sites.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Install those sites into different directories on your website and change the names of
    the church and music group. Switch any graphics and/or photos that are of them to
    something "stock" pix or generic. Make it known that you created them as examples
    for a portfolio to demonstrate your design and development skills. Allow the teacher
    (or whoever is visiting) to enter their own email address to test your online forms.
    They will receive the forms themselves to see how well they work. That alone could
    be the reason you installed them on your own site (for working examples).

Make your examples "interactive". Perhaps the two sites can do something together,
    such as one site displaying an RSS feed from the other site? Or one site recommending
    the other.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    if you want to see them online, set them up as a sub-domain and this way you will be able to add them and show them off.

hope this helps
    I run a local SEO & Web Designer. Business Web Designs

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I do subdomains for this... Make sure to put the appropriate robots.txt file there to keep search engines from indexing...

One time I was working on a project... After 3 weeks my subdomain project was showing up higher in search results than the owners site... Although the owner saw it and realized the new site was going to rank higher than his old site... Still not a discussion you want to have, nor do you want people thinking its a live site ...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wouldn't your teacher have already seen your work as part of the course?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 235129
    Wouldn't your teacher have already seen your work as part of the course?
    Welcome back!
    He said in the original post that the sites were created before he took the course.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Oh...I thought it said "while", not "before". I misread that. My bad.

In that case, I'd suggest something harder but that would protect you. Get a Windows laptop and install IIS onto it. It doesn't have to be a good laptop...just one that can be turned into a temporary web server. Once you get IIS working, install the sites and bring your laptop in to show your teacher how they work.

It's harder, but two things will/can happen:

1) No one will find the sites online...unless you happen to set a router up and create a DMZ for your laptop and then point a domain or a dynamic DNS subdomain to it (which you're probably not going to do because that would be pretty stupid and pointless).

2) Your teacher may be impressed that you set up a server yourself, since that demonstrates technical knowledge.

IIS in its default configuration is not especially difficult to set up, either. You just add it in as a Windows feature.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads