Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,

Does anyone know of any alternatives to Flash for creating interactive animated content?

a client is wanting to have a 3D object embedded on a webpage with several hotspots on it, when the user clicks one of the hotspots the object needs to perform a basic animation, i.e. rotating and spinning several parts around all 3 axis and then end up at one of 20 final positions. I was planning to do this by creating the 3D model in Max and then rendering out all the possible animations and then have Flash decide which one to play depending upon which hotspot the user clicks.

Unfortunately the client doesnt want us to use Flash so has anyone got any ideas on any different ways I could achieve this?

Im considering making it in Flash and then using that SWIFFY thing to convert it to HTML5 but not sure how good this will be? Has anyone used it before and can tell me how good the code is that it creates?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    There is Adobe Edge. I never tried it out, but don't expect the cleanest of codes.
    http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge/
    medlington likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks, Ive not heard of that before

Just downloaded the preview version, looks good from the video, like Flash but with a UI more like after effects, I hate flash with a passion so hopefully it behaves more like AE and not just looks like it.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Theoretically, jQuery with the right plugins could do what you want, although I haven't messed with anything 3D before.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads