Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Wow - this really caught my eye.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18440979
    I wonder how many pay the tax and how many switch broswers...
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I guess you could read that several ways...

I guess if you only have a handful of customers a day... You might get away with this... But...

I'm thinking #1 - this is no different than any site that pops up a message telling me I need to update my browser... ( not going to happen , I hit the back button and go to a competitors site )

#2 - he's automatically killing and potential new business from people that have IE 7 that may stumble onto his site ....

#3 - is he going to revoke this and make a major media spread when his sales start slipping.

#4 - prime example of a business leader with little to no tech knowledge making a big decision that could adversely affect his business.

#5 - maybe he should actually hire knowledgeable developers that know there are more than just Firefox, chrome and ie8+ browsers out there... ( reference #4 )

Coding to be compatible for IE7 is not that difficult, especially of you already have the site working in IE8... Unless of course you're using table based designs... That's a whole other story... But you can reference #5 for that as well.

If this were actually a feasible business plan... Don't you think some of the biggest online retailers would do something similar ? Of course they won't... 3% of amazon.com visitors would equate to millions a week... That spend millions a week... Amazon.com is not stupid enough to do anything that would potentially drive customers away.

Companies spend thousands of dollars making their site compatible with any browser that can access their site... This idiot is trying to give credence to a handful of lazy developers and designers that they shouldn't have to play in the big leagues. So we'll just use this as an excuse not to have to do what every other successful online retailer is doing ( providing a site that works with their customers browsers )...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    At first I was pissed off and agreed with WZ on this. Then I thought about it, looked at what the guy sold, and realized he's utterly and completely full of crap and most people will not only buy it, he may actually gain business from it.

Look at the site...he sells tech products. Yes, there are a few non-tech products, but it's mostly tech products. That means his target audience will generally be pretty tech-savvy, which in turn means that they'll at least have a computer that is either less than about 3-4 years old (and therefore would have shipped with IE8 if it had a Windows OS preloaded), would have upgraded their copy of IE, or migrated in large portions to either FF or Chrome. Therefore, his "3% estimate" is probably grossly inflated.

He's definitely got his finger on the pulse of the pseudo-educated elitist leftist sheeple market...he even called it a tax. It doesn't affect them negatively, and it seems to punish people they don't like (i.e. people who aren't as tech-savvy and therefore aren't as great as they are). Congratulations, most people reading this...you've been had. Hell, he had me for about five minutes.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    let's not forget that he's getting good publicity. although i honestly thought that taxes should be on IE6 users...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If his self promoting comment of "one of my visitors commented on it and liked it"... I highly doubt it unless it was one of his lazy developers...

Seriously... From most people that have been in web design for more than a couple years... This is a great big red flag that says our design team is lazy and unskilled...

I'm with theGame... I think their main client base is computer literate high dollar clients that are tech savy .... And this is just a snub to those that don't fall into their group.

I bet they are monitoring who and how often that page gets hit so see how much potential traffic they are losing out on.... But then again, they just might be arrogant enough to think they don't need to.

I read a study not 6 months ago... The survey was 1000 mid level skilled users ( mid level meaning more than 2 years using the Internet, having used the internet for purchasing something, having installed some sort of software on their pc in the past 6 months )....

So basically the questions centered around usability... One of the questions that I remembered is a pet peeve of mine.... You know, the sites that tell you to go get a modern browser, or site best viewed with "name your browser of choice ".... Would you purchase from a site that required you to install a newer or different version of browser or plugin ? 94% said NO. The other 6% did not answer.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Interesting discussion!

I still design for older browsers - although I really don't worry too much about IE6 - I kinda take an "if it looks good, even if it's not exactly the same as the others, then OK". But I do feel that anyone who has decent coding skills should have no trouble supporting all browsers (on computers, that is, handheld devices are a different kettle 'o fish).

Frankly, my biggest challenge right now is responsive design. I find it clunky to write all the media queries and size-specific CSS; unfortunately making the design responsive is fairly easy - maintaining the balance, the aesthetics, is much more difficult (at least for me!).

and
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 238027
    ... Would you purchase from a site that required you to install a newer or different version of browser or plugin ? ...
    Absolutely not!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads