Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    First of all, thank you for reading this post I know your time is valuable and any answers will be well appreciated.

I am a avionics engineer so my knowledge is basically zero about web design, but I need to get my lazy In laws from there backsides to do something as i am tired of giving a 1000 a month of my hard earned money to support them. So i found something that will work in Africa and for which there is a market I know it wont be easy but every penny this idea can make is less out of my pocket.

The whole thing is very similar to ownersdirect.co.uk , but before i start getting quotes etc. I want to understand a few things bit better

Q1 do web designers help with creating logos and letterheads etc. or do i have to find somebody that can do this for me?
    Q2 a site like this which format (code ) will be the best for designing it, or don't it matter in what form it is been written?
    Q3 is there anything I should look out when getting quotes that will give me a tip that the specific individual or company is not up for it?
    Q4 will you rather us a freelance person or company?
    Q5 what will a Ball park figure for the design for a site like this be. just afraid i accept a cheap quote which will cost me dear in the future

any comments or advice will appreciated because i am just afraid to get my fingers burnt with some designer who sees a quick penny

thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Q1) Depends on the designer. Some can, some can't. I'd personally find someone separate for this, though, just because it's print material. You may want to go one step further and find a logo designer, a layout designer (someone to create the layouts of your pages) and a developer (someone to code in all of the database/interactive elements), but I'd at least separate these two.

Q2) Regardless of the server-side programming language (that's the one that integrates with the database and retrieves and updates info), you'll need someone who knows HTML, CSS, and in all likelihood Javascript and one of its frameworks (I prefer jQuery myself).

Q3) A few things:

- Generic cover letters that indicate that they didn't really look at your project and understand it. These can easily enough be weeded out with some form of a specifications document...think about the features your site could need or want, try to insert something unusual into the specs doc and ask people that apply to answer a question about it. You'll eliminate 75-85% of "applicants" right there.

You might even want to look at spending 100-200 pounds (I don't have that key on my keyboard) to get someone to prepare this for you, outline the technologies to be used, etc.

- People who don't add anything to the equation. A good designer/developer will be able to tell you whether things can or can't work and be able to add ideas and alternatives to make your site better. If you're a good employer, you'll let your contractor do that because it can only benefit you (you'd be surprised how many people don't get this).

- Basically, you want someone with half a brain and that can use it.

Q4) Personally, it wouldn't matter to me if I found the right person or team. Having hired people in the past, I'd say the freelancers generally worked out better, although unfortunately the majority of people I've hired as freelancers were duds.

Q5) Depends on the specifications, the people you hire, what you hire them for, etc. There really isn't a ballpark as such. There's no real correlation between price and quality other than a general one but again it depends on who you hire.

The one thing I would advise against is doing a direct copy or at least a "similar in concept" idea to something else. The vacation market in particular is one that will be very difficult to enter due to extreme levels of saturation. It'll also be that much easier for your in-laws to make money and stop taking yours if it's something with at least an original twist on it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So you're wanting to compete with that site ???

An I reading that correctly ?

That site was actually purchased bu their biggest competitor... So all of their properties that they list are being served multiple ways and more than likely have affiliate programs...

Your motivation to do this is because of money ? Correct ? To even be able to crack the market and compete at their level.... You'll need a massive marketing budget... And some pretty creative and knowledgeable web marketing people to get your ads place when and where they will do you the most good...

The shotgun approach to web marketing in that industry could cost upwards of 100K ... Just to get your site noticed...

I've had clients in the past that have spent close to that trying to get their startup travel business going... ( I live in a big tourist area )... So naturally they though it was a great idea... Some of the travel keywords to get top placement for advertising are pricey... But when multi-national companies want a keyword "wrapped up"... They spend the bucks to make sure that every search result has their ad in it.

Tell us a little more about what you were planning ... More specifics... Means more details...

Remove Ads