Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    I hope this is in the right place and I want get booted out.

I was checking out Coffeecup today and found this. I downloaded it just for the heck of it and I was impressed.

It's free! and it works!
    Free Form Builder Lite
    http://www.coffeecup.com/web-form-builder-lite/
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Looks like a neat tool, but how does it handle the form processing ( I'm on an iPhone and can't check that part )...

I've seen these before, and yea they create nice forms ( assuming you know how to implement the Outputted code into them ), but the big problem comes into the processing.

Some tell you you have to run it against a "certain" script, and that's fine if your hosting provider supports and has it installed. But some offer processing on "their" servers... Which I have a BIG problem with. Sure it works, but who's to say they aren't dumping your data and information that your visitors or worse yet, your clients visitors, into a DB and reselling that information ?

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Coffeecup is a old and large company located in Atlanta. We've been using their software for years and love it as millions more users all over the world do. I doubt very seriously they would sale anyone's information. I've been to their offices in Atlanta and they're some of the nicest people to be met anywhere.

99% of all our ecommerce sites are built in their Shopping Cart software including the corporate level.

The form fields input is located under Settings.
    I think everyone here in the office has downloaded the full version of this program and will be using it.
    We've been using their older version for years and never had a problem with it.

The program also generates the code and all you have to do is copy and paste it onto a web page.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    What WZ's asking is where the backend script resides. Do you drop it on your own server, or is it like Wufoo, where they process the forms?
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I see how this could be useful if you writing PHP scripts from scratch. But I use frameworks, thus it being easier for me to build it from the framework itself.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Someone they charge to process your forms ? And who specifically has access to that information ? Is it encrypted ?

Not a single one of my corporate clients would allow any of their information be processed without knowing who is processing it and that they have signed an NDA and that all information is encrypted.

That's why I just build everything myself. I can create a process map, and data mapping diagram showing how and where all data is processed, this is usually required as part of the project.

And oh, by the way, some hackers I know are some of the nicest people you'd ever meet. And it's not necessairly then I would worry about. But when my or my clients data is being processed, I prefer to know that he server that is processing it is perfectly secure, meaning the only way I know it's secure is to OWN and manage the server.

I recently was called into a clients site, they were seeing some weird data patterns running across their firewall... After 4 days of traffic monitoring I analyzed the data. One IP Address was making connections to ( let's say somewhere on the other side of the world )... It was barely even a noticeable stream ... It was taking anywhere from 24-37 hours to transmit less than 2 megs encrypted data. Then would sit for a couple hours receive a 9k packet over a few
    Minutes... Then start the large packet transfer again..

Come to find out they had bought an IP security camera recently.

Moral of the story... Unless you monitor everything... You REALLY don't know what someone else might be doing with your data... Nice or not... My clients data is theirs... And mine is mine and it will stay that way as long as I control and protect my servers.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 240647
    What WZ's asking is where the backend script resides. Do you drop it on your own server, or is it like Wufoo, where they process the forms?
    It's on your own server. They pay no one to process your forms.
    We've never had a client, large or small , to tell us their site has been compromised, never had a site hacked, never found malicious codes on a site and all of our sites are monitored 24 x 7 in our office for anything out of the ordinary.

As long as we have no problems, and we've never had a problem with Coffeecup software, we'll continues to use it.

So, if you have the time and want to code your own forms, which we do for some clients, then I think that is awesome and I would say you're a smart coder.
    Bleau

Remove Ads