Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi Everyone.

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction and give me a bit of a shove towards some good tips for setting up a website.

A few friends and me are looking to set up a gaming review site. I think we've got the name and content sorted, we've done a few rough story boards and templates which we're happy (ish) with and made sure we don't do anything too silly like white text on a red background and all that.

Now though we're not really sure where to turn. I was going to Google 'setting up a website' or stuff along those lines but before I thought I would come to places like here and ask people where they went first and get something first hand.

Some of the issues picking our brains are:

None of us are any good at drawing/photoshop, we have some ideas for a banner but theres no way for us to get a half decent image on the computer. Where would be best to go for one of these?

We've looked at domain names and hostings and that all seems straight forwards, but when we get the address how to we get it on the web?

When it comes to the actual building part of it I've heard good things said about WordPress, is that what we need and where do we start with that?

Also a little further down the line we will be looking at making money from the site (hopefully). Will we need some sort of contract or registration for this or some form of legal binding?

Lastly, the main focus of the site will be reviews and the latest news relaed to the gaming industry. It's going to have lots of pages, how will this impact hosting, will we need some sort of database or CMS (Is that what a CMS is used for?)

Thanks for reading and I look forwards to hearing your thoughts.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    1. Place an ad on the marketplace here in the forums asking for a banner design, several here can and will, or go to elance or any other site that will allow you to post a job and let Poole bid on it.

2. If you buy your hosting and domain from the same place it's usually fairly simple. ( there are some that suggest you don't to that it I've personally never had an issue with it ), once you have registered the domain name, you can purchase a hosting package and point that domain name to it.
    You will be sent information on FTP connections once it's setup.

3. Find a good contract lawyer, any information you get from the Internet on contracts may or may not be accurate, when your dealing with people, money and contracts you don't want to take chances.

As for using this site, it's almost always best to post specific questions in the appropriate forums. You're more likely to get answers in those specific categories because there are developers and designers ( yes there is a difference ).

Member #
    You must try W3school and also some video tutorial on you tube it's really very helpful

Remove Ads