Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone, i'm new here and i would really appreciate it if i could get some advice on something. I am a photographer trying to build a website so far i've made some photoshop templates, just to get an idea on layout and stuff because i have very little web design skills, i understand the general concepts of html and css but not enough to express my design in html form.

my designs are just separate photoshop files, mock ups of how i want my pages to look. they are all made up of separate layers with all the elements on separate layers. Hopefully i'll be able to use my photoshop pages to help create my webpage, but if anything i will just use them as a reference. Also i have access to dreamweaver if that means anything.

so Here are my questions/desires.

first off i would like the text to have a hover that makes it turn black so that when you are at the homepage(the far left) and you are hovering on a link it turns black, then when you click the link it goes to that page and the link stays black to show which page you are on. I would also love if that while you were hovering that the text would move a little to the right(like 5px). This being a photoshop file, i'm not quite sure how i would go about doing this. is it even possible? could i slice in photoshop and then do it somehow?

secondly i need some kind of Portfolio, or galley to go on the individual pages. i really want something like a grid like lightbox with thumbnails that will pop up when you click link, and when you click the thumbnails the photo enlarges.(hard for me to explain but very common, i see it all over the place) or what would be even cooler is to have the page animate split from the link to reveal a lightbox horizontal gallery with forward and backward arrows.

hopefully what i have described makes sense, and hopefully you guys can help me figure it out. i'd really appreciate it. please let me know if you need anymore info or if you have an suggestions on what might look good.

Untitled-6 copy by Carsten Schertzer, on Flickr

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Here's the CSS you want, and probably the active class.
    Code:
    a:hover, a.active{padding-left:  5px;} /* this will move your link 5 pixels to the right. */
    As far as the effects you want, you'd be looking at something like jQuery to give them to you.

Now...you're probably not going to get a more detailed answer than that since the HTML, CSS and Javascript you require are of a complexity that tends to go beyond that of the help you'll receive from a forum. If you can get it "close", then you might find people to help you finish off the details. To get the code for it from scratch, however...that's just not what a forum in general is about.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Carsten, The photos look like a website about your photoshop skills? Not
    necessarily a website where you sell a service or merchandise. So, the
    site will become personal portfolio? If that is the case, I really recommend
    that you use something like WordPress. WP isn't necessarily for blogs anymore.
    WP can be used for many different kinds of sites.

I'm recommending WP because it can handle the things you want to do,
    such as photo galleries, and things you wish to write about (in article form).
    In your case, it will be a combination of graphics you've done and maybe
    a paragraph about each one? There are "lightbox" plug-ins, a way for you
    to upload and manage your images, and of course a way to organize things
    in different sections and control over how things are displayed.

You can still use your photoshop (banners) graphics on each page. It will require
    customizing an existing WP theme, which you can find themes for free using
    Google and then customize it.

This whole project of yours demonstrates the frustration many people experience.
    The difference between website "design" and website "development". Not many
    people are good at both. You have good "design" (graphic) skills, but you need to
    find a partner to help with "development" ... the programming aspect of a website.

It's great that you'll try to learn some development skills, but you should stick to
    your graphic design skills and partner with someone to do the programming. You
    could possibly trade skills ... helping each other with your own sites ... instead
    of hiring for actual payment.

Dreamweaver might be good for laying out pages, but you'll want to be using a ton
    of javascripting (JQuery) and PHP/MySQL (server side scripting) to handle uploading
    images, adding content, and dynamically generating web pages.

Remove Ads