Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    I think every company has it's good and bad customer experiences.
    I have an Compaq / HP just after they took over Compaq. It's been
    flawless for me. Even my ePrint HP photosharp printer has been flawless.
    I've read dozens of bad reviews on the printer alone.

So, I don't think it really matters. Just like cars, some are lemons.

That means it all comes down to customer service. I've never had to call
    so I can't answer that.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I have...when you deal with as many machines as I have, calling customer service/support is a sad fact of life.

Gateway/Acer's customer service = very good.
    Lenovo's customer service = practically non-existent.
    Toshiba's = good enough for what I wanted.

Never had to call HP / Compaq so no experience there.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Being in the computer shop, I never had to deal with the costumer support because we were the costumer support; warranties were done on these computers. So I never experienced Lenovo's customer support.

However, when I worked in IT for a large company, every computer was a Dell with very few excepts. We called Dell virtually every other day to get replacement parts. They were pretty good if you know what to say. You really have to answer everything with confidence and sometimes lie about doing some tests that we actually didn't do, but we are always very confident what is the problem.

Dell did have it's days. I was told about how one of our ITs had to wait on the phone for over an hour and the dell support mouthed off at us. But that was a very rare exception.

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    I always wondered what it would be like to build my own desktop by
    purchasing a motherboard, drives, memory, video cards, etc. from
    various companies. It would certainly cost more than just buying
    a "system in a box", but if you bought two of everything, there would
    be instant spares for the parts. It wouldn't even have to be built into
    a real PC cabinet ... just an oversided box with cooling and shielding
    and places to store all of the parts, including the ones that are spares.
    Looks would not matter, and there would be a gazillion ports hanging
    open for USB, drives, power supply cables, etc.

Has anyone here ever done that? I assume it would only be a home
    project, as businesses probably wouldn't allow something like that.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I've had some experience with Dell myself, and it matches what Kayo said. The diagnostics tools Dell supplies actually make it pretty easy to call in and say "hi there, I own an XPS 6400 (made up model number) and ran your diagnostics tool and defective RAM was indicated." The phone call lasts about ten minutes and a support rep shows up the next day to replace the RAM. I'm not sure what warranty my client purchased to get that service, but I have to say it was the best I've seen as far as coverage is concerned.

mlseim: never done that myself, but my best friend has just to know that he could. He'd never do it again, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Computer in a box? Did that once in a shoebox running a Mini-ITX motherboard.. it worked until I moved and it fell apart

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Dell's business support is great. Called Dell a ton of times in the past, always good. Dell's server support is great as well.

Talked to Lenovo business support once. It was a good experience, but one case is not statistically significant.

Tons of wall mounted PCs (as in all components are mounted to a board on the wall, no case), box PCs, etc. Seen some in Nintendos, pizza boxes, you name it, it's been done.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I just got the computer, it is super fast, and looks brand new, nothing wrong with it yet. This seems to be a good deal and i love the computer so far. Thanks for all the help guys. Just need to get photoshop on and im ready to start working again!
    "ON TIME, ON TARGET, NEVER QUIT"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads