Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    So i am looking for a computer that will be fine for everyday use and be able to run Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc for web design. I am on a budget and don't want to spend over 400..

I found two computers one with a AMD Processor and one with a Intel Processor. Witch one is better?

1. Gateway DX4860:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-2320 Quad Core 3 GHz 6 MB Cache
    • Installed Memory: 8GB DDR3-1333/PC3-10600
    • Graphics Chip/Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 2000
    • Chipset: H67 Express
    • Hard Drive: 1TB SATA 5,400RPM

2. HP Pavilion P6-2133w

• AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 accelerated processor
      2.20GHz, 4MB L2 Cache
    • 8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
    • 1TB SATA hard drive
    • AMD Radeon HD 6530D Integrated Graphics
    • AMD Hudson-D3 Chipset

The HP would cost $348 and the gate way about $425
    a little advice please
    "ON TIME, ON TARGET, NEVER QUIT"

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I always found Intels are better for photoshopping. I don't know if that changed, but ever since the Core2 series, AMD has been behind in everything for a long time.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    i hear the the new amd's are a bit better on graphics performance

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Intel processors, AMD top end are comparatively equal to intel i3, graphic handling has historically been better with intel processors. The new gen AMD's are equal to the i5, but doubtful you'll find that processor in a < $400 machine. You'll need to spend twice that to get the better chip.

Because graphic are memory intensive, I'd personally go with the intel any day, as they handle large chunk memory addressing that graphics processing demands.

You can always upgrade that sluggish 5400 rpm HD anytime down the road.

What are your OS options ? Assuming 64 bit, but be careful, some low cost machines are loading 32bit even though they have 8M of ram.... 64 bit is the only option that can utilize the ram.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Look at the Dell Outlet. Inventory constantly changes, and they sometimes come with a 3 yr warranty.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    it will be a 64 bit windows 7. Witch one out of these two i listed should i get? im just looking for a computer to get me by and will work for what i need it to do.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    At <= $400, your options are severely limited going with the windows OS.

At that level, all manufacturers are cutting whatever they can to at least make a little money on it.

At 600 you'll see bigger buss speeds, bigger processors, and maybe more ram.

Of the 2 you listed, I'd go with the intel processor ( name brand really doesn't matter at this level ).

Like wired said, keep an eye on the dell outlet... Sometimes they'll run a deal just because it's Wednesday... With a goal to sell 100 units ... Once those 100 are gone... Regular pricing applies.

If you're not in a hurry, sign up for their deals promotions... I've bought several really good machines for under 400, if I used their customize options I couldnt build it for less than 650... So deals do happen on there.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    okay i think im going for the intel one. i can always upgrade the graphics later on if i want.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I'd suggest neither on the surface.

Talk to a custom (clone) builder. A lot of clone stuff is falling through the floor right now because of the battle they're in with the brand names, and if you can find the right dealer, it will be better built and last longer, with the added benefit (if you believe in it) of supporting a small businessperson. Do some homework, though, and give yourself several options.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Um... I hate both Gateway and HP. But of the two, HP is better. and an Intel processor over an AMD anyway
    I'd recommend the Lenovo V570 if you can afford it. They're selling at under $600 at Best Buy, with Core i5 CPU, 6GB RAM,and 500GB HDD.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads