Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Wired, I just checked out Twit tv. It seems to be an online channel for tech stuff. You are really hardcore into technology if you watch that channel.

I did not see any body balls/medicine balls (but I did see a guy that looks like Jon Stewart from The Daily Show). I've never seen them used in homes, but definitely at the gym. You're probably right about it being good for posture, because a backrest encourages slouching!!! Furthermore, I really do need more padding for my butt.

Are you supposed to just put the laptop on your lap? Or do you sit on the ball at a desk?

-R

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhacker, post: 241254
    This is interesting. I've been a desktop user up 'till recently. I bought a notebook to help me pitch my clients more efficiently and to diversify my work scenery. Working on a laptop is indeed a gruesome and challenging task. Either my elbows cramp up from working in bed or my bum gets sore from sitting on chairs. I think leather sofas are by far the most comfortable of all, but I'll still be in an awkward pose if I try to work while sitting.

Don't know if a beanbag will be any different but post your feedback as soon as you get one.

P.S. I second the opinion that if you decide to work on a desk after all, you should buy a very decent armchair - the bigger the better.
    Agreed: laptops are necessary when meeting prospective clients. I honestly have a problem seeing a web designer working strictly with a destkop, especially since you can desktop-ize a laptop with a monitor and peripheral attachments.

I do agree that leather sofas are great though. Even with the awkward laptop angle, it's too comfortable to care. I might start using the leather sofa in our living when my bum needs a break from sitting on a steel chair for 2 hours.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Then there's this story about a developer using a laptop all the time. His laptop got ripped off and with it went his business out the door at the same time. He went from having a business to wondering what to do next.

Another story is when a developer dropped his laptop after clearing security in the Atlanta airport...his business was a crash scene on the floor. I saw that happen.

I'm not a laptop person and I couldn't imagine having to do what I have to do on a laptop. There's no way it could ever happen for me. I use mine for meetings and travel and it works great for that. If you like using a laptop and it works for you then all is well as long as it's what you personally like.

If you can find a business that sells used office equipment, especially in a large city and even on CL right now, you can find deals on some awesome office chairs because of many businesses closing because of the economy.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 241353
    Wired, I just checked out Twit tv. It seems to be an online channel for tech stuff. You are really hardcore into technology if you watch that channel.

I did not see any body balls/medicine balls (but I did see a guy that looks like Jon Stewart from The Daily Show). I've never seen them used in homes, but definitely at the gym. You're probably right about it being good for posture, because a backrest encourages slouching!!! Furthermore, I really do need more padding for my butt.

Are you supposed to just put the laptop on your lap? Or do you sit on the ball at a desk?

-R
    Yeah, it's for geeks, but it's not too crazy. A bunch of shows are for anyone. They used to have geekier ones that went into science and whatnot, but they cancelled them due to low viewers. That's the great thing about it though, the hosts just continued them by themselves or on another network.

As for the body balls, most of the behind the scenes staff are on them. You'd have to watch the right show at the right time to catch it. They're all using computers at desks.

What day / time were you watching? I can only think of one guy that looks like Stewart, and he's on the NSFW show (they're a bit nuts).

As for desktop vs laptop, could do either, or a laptop with a docking station. As for the guy who had his laptop stolen, he should have had everything backed up in multiple locations!
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon, post: 241380
    Then there's this story about a developer using a laptop all the time. His laptop got ripped off and with it went his business out the door at the same time. He went from having a business to wondering what to do next.

Another story is when a developer dropped his laptop after clearing security in the Atlanta airport...his business was a crash scene on the floor. I saw that happen.

I'm not a laptop person and I couldn't imagine having to do what I have to do on a laptop. There's no way it could ever happen for me. I use mine for meetings and travel and it works great for that. If you like using a laptop and it works for you then all is well as long as it's what you personally like.
    I'm in exactly the same boat...although I own a laptop, I utterly refuse to rely on it.

You can't add a RAID card to a laptop...at least not in any way I know of.
    They're built horribly, usually JIT from Mexico or China.
    You don't get the same resource from a laptop that you do with a desktop.
    The keyboards are awkward, even on larger laptops.

I own one, but I use it very infrequently these days.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon, post: 241380

If you can find a business that sells used office equipment, especially in a large city and even on CL right now, you can find deals on some awesome office chairs because of many businesses closing because of the economy.
    Ok valid point about laptops being easily stolen. However...

1. BACKUP. Web design files are mostly just text and jpgs. It's so quick and easy to back them up on either a USB, external harddrive, or online in a sandbox or uploaded version.

2. VALUE IS IN KNOWLEDGE. Even if all our frameworks and accounting records are wiped, we still have knowledge and ability. In this service-based sector, I believe that we, the web designers, are the asset and not the computer equipment we carry. (Of course, I'm a little young in this career, so I still have to build on the "asset" thing ).

And yes, CL would be a good idea. Such a godawful place to find clients... but pretty good for finding furniture or used equipment!!!!

_R

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Well, use an SSD (that's what I do). Dropped your laptop? no problem, just pull out the SSD and use a USB enclosure to attach it to your new one and transfer the files over since SSDs aren't sensitive to being shaken or dropped! And keep multiple backups!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 241384
    Ok valid point about laptops being easily stolen. However...

1. BACKUP. Web design files are mostly just text and jpgs. It's so quick and easy to back them up on either a USB, external harddrive, or online in a sandbox or uploaded version.
    RIght...and what happens when you need to edit the PSD file that you sliced to create your JPG? Or you're working in a language/framework and only upload compiled code for efficiency reasons (e.g. ASP.NET)? Then you're screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 241384
    2. VALUE IS IN KNOWLEDGE. Even if all our frameworks and accounting records are wiped, we still have knowledge and ability. In this service-based sector, I believe that we, the web designers, are the asset and not the computer equipment we carry. (Of course, I'm a little young in this career, so I still have to build on the "asset" thing ).
    Still need the files, bro.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    "Did you just call me bro?"

See this Mad TV skit (video: specifically at location 3:25)
    http://youtu.be/JOBhgQs38ck

Everytime I hear "bro", I think of that skit. Too funny!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads