Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi everyone,

I'm a freelance designer, so I spend a lot of time working from home.

At the moment, my table and chair combo are just not comfortable. The chair has almost no padding and my booty isn't that big, so it's quite a sore after sitting for long periods of time. Meanwhile, the table doesn't feel that great, mainly because I'm 5'10" and I do have to lurch over to see my screen (table height was designed for the average height of ALL people, which includes women and children). So, I actually have my laptop sitting on a rest (to perch up the back) and on top of a cereal box stuffed with air packets (cause one day I was getting annoyed and looked around for anything to give my laptop to my eye level).

Still, it's not very comfortable. I sometimes jump on my bed to do some work, but that's always a bad idea. So, I'm thinking of getting a bean bag chair. It'd be something that would be comfortable, but still a chair. I could use my knees as a stand.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input. I feel my discomfort level is distracting me at the moment and productivity is just not where I'd like it.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Get a business desk with a executive adjustable ergonomic chair.
    Connect a large LCD monitor to your laptop, a normal PC keyboard, and normal mouse.
    Slide your laptop off to the side and turn it around so you don't see it's screen.

If you can get a docking station for your laptop, that would make the connection easier.

In my opinion, nobody doing computer work full-time should ever use a laptop.
    I don't think it's designed properly for body/hand/posture. I would also purchase a 2nd
    monitor and do the dual-screen thing. It's so nice to slide things over to the other
    screen (such as cheat sheets, and things you reference).

Also pay attention to the lighting in the room, and what you see in your peripheral vision.
    Nothing in your vision should be moving (like fans, people, TV's, etc).

I don't know where you live, but in Minnesota during the Winter, the beanbag chair
    would throw static sparks everytime I touched the laptop ... not a very good idea!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Winter does that. When I was stationed in Alaska, static was such a huge problem. I had to discharge before I touched anything electronic.

If you're hooked on a beanbag chair, I understand Sumo is the way to go, though I've never tried them myself. Me? I'd just go for a better desk/chair combo.

I head home from this deployment in a few days. I'm looking forward to tapping out some web code in my giant effing hammock...
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Good tips. In the future, I might have to do some shopping. And actually, in my life, I have never met a chair/table combo where I thought "wow, this is amazingly comfortable," for computers or for studying. I honestly believe if I was 5'4", tables would feel so much better.

Msleim, you're also right about laptops: they are not as comfortable to use as desktops. I never thought of that. I've been a laptop-only guy for 1.5 years now.

I live in Hawaii, which is humid, and I believe makes static electricity hard to build up. The only time I get shocked is when I play basketball with thick soled running shoes. So, I might start looking at bean bags on ebay... it just looks so damn comfortable.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    miseim has given you some good advice. I'm almost touching 5' 10". I think a bean bag would be a bad decision for you.

I sit at a standard height desk and I have no problems, It's all in the chair if you spends hours a day working at a desk. The one thing everyone has in our office is the best chair we could find for them that fit them.Not a cheapo either.

I agree about a laptop. Poor excuse for a full time work computer. The only time we use a laptop is when we're traveling.

If you're going to do this hours a day then I would suggest you invest in a decent desk, chair and get a pc and not a monitor so big you have to move your head back and forth to see all of it.

No one in here uses the over head lights in an office. We use lamps with soft lights sitting around and that keeps the glare away from the 3 monitors each one of us have on our desk. We don't leave here feeling like our eyes, backs and legs have been in a fight with a bunch of monkeys.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon, post: 241093
    miseim has given you some good advice. I'm almost touching 5' 10". I think a bean bag would be a bad decision for you.

I sit at a standard height desk and I have no problems, It's all in the chair if you spends hours a day working at a desk. The one thing everyone has in our office is the best chair we could find for them that fit them.Not a cheapo either.

I agree about a laptop. Poor excuse for a full time work computer. The only time we use a laptop is when we're traveling.

If you're going to do this hours a day then I would suggest you invest in a decent desk, chair and get a pc and not a monitor so big you have to move your head back and forth to see all of it.

No one in here uses the over head lights in an office. We use lamps with soft lights sitting around and that keeps the glare away from the 3 monitors each one of us have on our desk. We don't leave here feeling like our eyes, backs and legs have been in a fight with a bunch of monkeys.
    Hi, can you give an example of what a good lamp would be? So not the regular lamp with a bulb and shade? I am using overhead lights, but I do feel a lamp would be smarter.

I guess I am fine with my laptop because I do meet up with clients at their homes and I do work at the library or Safeway sometimes to change scenery and also so I can buy groceries after I finish. If I find a good priced monitor, I would be smart to pick one up though, cause I am starting to realize that double screen is necessary when I have FTP, browsers, and Notepad open all simultaneously.

-R

-R

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    We use regular house lamps with mostly tan colored shades. In my office one sits on the right corner of my desk away from my monitors.

I have a sofa about 10 feet to the right side of my desk with lamps on both sides of it. Off to my right and back from my desk are two wing backed chairs with a lamp in the center of them.

Behind my desk about four feet is my work station with a server with 3 more 27 inch monitors with a lamp on the right side corner. The windows are to my left with shades and curtains on them that I keep almost closed even though I have a beautiful view of the mountains.

The only lamp I keep on in my office during the day is the one between the chairs. It makes for no glare any where in my office, soft lightening, soothing to the eyes and no eye stress. All our other offices are pleasant to go in because of their soft lightening. We also have no over head lights on in the entrance to the office building....a restored 1800's barn on our farm.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This is interesting. I've been a desktop user up 'till recently. I bought a notebook to help me pitch my clients more efficiently and to diversify my work scenery. Working on a laptop is indeed a gruesome and challenging task. Either my elbows cramp up from working in bed or my bum gets sore from sitting on chairs. I think leather sofas are by far the most comfortable of all, but I'll still be in an awkward pose if I try to work while sitting.

Don't know if a beanbag will be any different but post your feedback as soon as you get one.

P.S. I second the opinion that if you decide to work on a desk after all, you should buy a very decent armchair - the bigger the better.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I actually found what looks to be a really good (on the surface) ergonomic chair from, of all places, Wal-Mart. I haven't set it up yet, though, so I'll have to keep you posted on it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    If you watch the TWiT network you'll see that they all sit on body balls: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=body+ball

Don't know if it's good or not, but supposedly it's good for your posture and whatnot.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads