Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    hi there,

I've nearly finished building my friends website ( http://connordesign.comyr.com )

I was wonduring how much this would cost for someone to build it?

Reason im asking is because someone has asked me to build them one and they'd like a price...

the website pages are just about complete... bookings, blog and contact need to be written and the individual sections on the gallery uploaded (im waiting for pics)

the blog will use a CMS, and the contact page will have a form using php...

id just like an idea and also any advice on what to expect when meeting a client for the first time...

cheers
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Couple of things:
    1. How much is it worth to you? More specifically, what value do you place on your time on an hourly basis? Multiply that number by however many hours it took to build it, and there's an estimate.
    2. There are developers/designers on this forum who won't show up for less than $10k. There are others who'll knock out a static job like yours for $100. How do they come up with those numbers? Each designer's methods are different, and many will refuse to talk about it.

Possibilities:
    1. Flat rate. Pros: You know how much you're going to get paid; the client knows how much they're going to pay, so there are no questions. It's easier to get client buy-in for a structure like this. Cons: Doesn't allow for much flexibility, and most things aren't black and white enough to work with it.
    2. Hourly. Pros: Flexible. Potential for higher pay. Cons: You can create an estimate, but in the end, no one is sure how much it'll end up costing. Harder to get client buy-in.
    3. Combined. This is what I do. I have a set hourly rate with a minimum number of hours for the job. For a static site, I'd take my hourly rate and do a minimum of 20 hours. This let's the client know about how much they can expect to pay, but allows for flexibility if the client decides to change the game later on, or the design revisions they want done get out of hand. They know that after 20 hours of work, the price starts to tick up, and by how much.

Finally, take a look at this ebook. It doesn't tell you exactly how to price, but gives you a good foundation to come up with it.
    Design-GalInc likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What I have to do to make a site dynamic?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    That would be your content management system, and using a scripting language like php or asp to create common sections once and use them to make the site the same all over.

Create your common sections like header, footer, navigation, etc... Then include them on all the pages that you create, the if you need to make a change to the footer, you change 1 file, upload it and done.

Some use this method to create a "framework", that is called every time a page is called, and renders all the parts.... Or a template system.

A static site generally means the pages are straight HTML and whn you have to make a change that affect the entire site, you have to change every page, then upload them all.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As for a site like that ( static ), Ronald is right, that price varies... You being new, can't expect to charge the same as someone like me that's been doing this for a very long time.

The difference being, when you build out a site, your focus is to make it work and look right, now throw in, SEO, keyword analysis, sitemaps, SE submissions, content creation that is focused on search engine placement and competitor analysis as well as verifying any trademark, copyright an IP concerns, response testing and tweaking to make sure the site is optimized ( graphic ms compression ), and untilizing multiple tools and processes to make sure the site provides the best response times for the target market. I've been doing this a long time most of this stuff I do without having to think about it or put a lot of thought into it, because the processes I do in planning the project, building it out and testing everything in a test environment, it just all falls into place as i go along.

Add the fact that I don't knock on doors looking for work, I get all of my clients from recommendations from current and past clients, and they know I don't work cheap.

In the beginning, I did sites like this for less than 500, today... A lot more, but I haven't done a true "static" site in a long time, because they are management nightmares, so really no comparison.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    ok so if i said say 600 would that be ok?

When you say using php for head and footer... i take it that means using phps include to add them to a page?

thanks again for the replies

Remove Ads