Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi,

Just curious, what would be the best method for making a Wordpress site and testing it? I know that sites using databases can be volatile. Furthermore, the amount of files from Wordpress is a real pain. I do offer 2 rounds of revisions to clients, so my clients will need to see the draft versions.

Which do you think is best? Factors are convenience and having the least hassle with databases and broken links.

Method 1: Work on it locally, send pictures to client, and upload the final version.

Method 2: Work on it on my own server, let the client preview on my server, and then download and re-upload to client's server for the final, and re-configure database info.

Method 3: Work on it on the client's server (create a subfolder?), let the client preview it, and then re-direct the domain to the subfolder when the final is done.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Let me start by stating I don't use WP but with that said I usually do everything on my clients servers and if they don't have a server I will then proceed with your #2 Method.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Method 4: work on it on my own server, upload it to my client's server to show them and do any final testing related to their specific server configuration.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Yes, FP GFX, working on the client's server is ideal. However, I have an upcoming client that already has a website up, and I am doing a re-design.

The Game, is there a faster way to move files than downloading off my server, then uploading onto their server? My recent experience with a Wordpress site (2000+ files) and an online store has been unpleasant, so I am looking for other methods.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Couldn't you just make another folder in the Root section of the server and title it newsite and then upload all of your files there. That is what I do when I do a redesign.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    And then re-direct the DNS to that sub-folder, right?

Or would you delete the old files and then move everything up from the sub-folder to the root?

-R

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I would do the latter, put everything in the new folder and the client can then preview the new working preview site at www.theirsite.com/newsite/ when they are satisfied I would first back up all of the original sites content by moving them into separate folder title 2011site or Old Site so if you ever needed to go back to it for whatever reason it is still there just packed away in its own folder. Then I would upload all of the files to the main Root Folder.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 241525
    Yes, FP GFX, working on the client's server is ideal. However, I have an upcoming client that already has a website up, and I am doing a re-design.

The Game, is there a faster way to move files than downloading off my server, then uploading onto their server? My recent experience with a Wordpress site (2000+ files) and an online store has been unpleasant, so I am looking for other methods.

-R
    Set up a machine as a localhost/web server. That's what I meant. My development machine is a web server.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Take a crappy old pentium 3 pc, install ubuntu server on it, and run a webserver. then use a service like dyndns so even people with residential internet service can access it!

Or just EasyPHP on your computer...

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Thanks for the advice.

I just did my 1st server migration with Wordpress. It actually went smoothly (a surprise for me), so I might stick with this method for my next WP project. I can actually see a lot of things going awry, but I had enough prior experience with configuration from an online store migration, so this was not bad at all.

The amount of files makes it a pain to upload/download (2000+), but all I did was this:

1. Logged into Wordpress settings and changed the URLs to future domain (to affect the database linking). Note: this will screw up the current Wordpress.
    2. Exported the database sql file.
    3. Downloaded all files to my desktop. Made a backup. Then uploaded to new domain server root directory.
    4. Created a database in the new server.
    5. Imported the sql file (removed 'create table' and changed name of table to whatever the new one is called).
    6. Went into .htaccess in the new root directory and removed instances of subdirectory rewrites (since I originally had it in a subdirectory).

And so far so good! All links work, all images are there, and my admin interface is just fine.

-R

Remove Ads