Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone. My website needs to be able to accept credit card payments online. No baskets or products being sold just they enter in the amount and press pay kind of thing. My client has a merchant account already and is able to process credit cards over the phone.
    My question is, do I need a third party to process these payments so they go directly to his bank or is there a way to set it up on my end with a script? I would like to not have a third party if possible to reduce cost. PayPal is not a option. I don't want to be redirected out of my website for payments.
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    -Dave.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    "You can't." That's the short answer.

A MOTO account is not the same as an Internet merchant account, and if you're caught using one (at least here in Canada) for Internet orders the bank reserves the right to cut off your merchant account. They're two different things. You need an internet merchant account, period. There's no getting around this, so don't even waste your time trying.

If you get one, you still need a third party payment processor to process the transactions. Authorize.net has a very good API. Can't think of any other US ones off the top of my head. You need this too if you're going to do it properly...again, there's no real getting around this. There are those that say that you can encrypt the credit card information and store it in a database, which could theoretically work...except that you need a decryption tool, which means you run the risk of others finding the tool and more importantly the underlying credit card information.

Simply put...you're trying to operate something on the cheap that won't work.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you for your advice. I had looked into authorize.net and I liked their API a lot.
    Now after we get the Internet merch acct and the gateway setup, will I also need a SSL certificate to protect data xfer? Do payment gateways include SSL? Could you give me any information on that?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That depends on how you set up the payment page. If you host the payment page yourself, then yes you will. If you find a payment processor that will host the payment page for you, then that becomes their responsibility and you don't have to buy an SSL.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually some payment processing companies have an Internet payment option as well, but you need to contact them to find out. Most don't advertise it as a service, and its only offered to current clients in good standing.

They have a the appropriate systems in place and many have APIs pre-built for your use. Sometimes that are available as a service as part of their existing plan, sometimes there is a small setup fee to cover their cost, and generally their payment % are competitive with others.

Again, the only way to know if they have this option is to have your client contact them to see if its even available. If it is, there will be some forms that need to be filled out authorizing you as a developer to work with their team is getting everything setup.

I was told my my bank manager not to long ago, the reason they DO NOT advertise it, is that they don't offer it as a standalone service or to new accounts. Only business merchant account in good standing with at least 6 months continued service on the primary account. This limits their exposure to people and or companies that might want to use their service to scam or exploit people.

Member #
    I don't understand your post Webzarus. What payment processing companies? I thought the payment processing companies we are talking about are specifically for internet payments (Authorize.net, etc).. Do you mean like paypal and other paypal-like companies? If you are talking about the merchant account he already has, I assumed that it was though his bank that he had it setup.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I have numerous clients that use a payment processor from their bank or a couple of them have agreements with the banks and tie into their bank accounts.

Not all banks that have merchant account services offer an API that ties into the merchant account, but many do.

Numerous clients of mine use the same merchant account that they use for processing phone orders for their website processing. None of them knew they could so that until I asked them to ask their bank.

Many of then had went with "online" payment processors, but after a while it becomes a real pain, and almost always takes one person a whole day to reconcile the transactions between the two systems.

Again, you won't know until you ask. Not all of them offer payment processing through the web, but more and more now have 3rd party systems ties in with theirs so even if they don't offer said "processing" they have taken the time to establish a system that works with theirs and all the records and processing is handled by them or their trusted provider.

Ask if they offer online payment processing with the current merchant account and if not so they have a recommended supplier that integrates.

Member #
    I talked with my client, he said he called his bank and they said that they recommended Authorize.net as a gateway. I will let you know if I have any problems implementing their API but I think I should be all set. Thanks again for your help!

Remove Ads