Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hello all!

So, the guy turns up he wants a spanking website with all the fancy stuff! Brilliant i will do it. He then says i need a logo. You say ok, he shows you the one for his other business and you think wow thats awsome. He leaves and you go christ im crap at drawing.

Thats kinda what happend to me lol Well thing is im sure there are people that do web design that cant draw very well. But using a mouse and photoshop or fireworks they come up with ace designs.

So whats your secret, what can i do to make logo design a peace of cake for myself? To that end i see people with backgrounds on their websites and they are ace. But they aint photos they've made them with photoshop or something...

Spill the paint bucket lol (crap joke) lol

cheers
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    If the person is paying you, you can pay somebody else to make the logl.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've noticed that but i like learning so id atleast like ago at it myself first. I probably already have the tools for the job now lol

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You're asking a generic question

More details needed.

1. Are you just taking his current logo and trying to make it for the website ?

If so a. What format did he provide it it ?
    b. do you have access to a scanner or digital camera ?

2. Are you going to make a completely new logo with your own design ?

Depending on how you answer those questions.... You may already have to do it.

Yeah, there are a lot of "developers" not designers that have no artistic or creative abilities, and many do "sub" out thier graphics work. Designer typically have SOME grasp on graphic work, color combinations, etc... Which do require an "eye" for those kinds of things.

In the web industry you have "design" and "development" skills, its rare you find someone with both that are really good at both, as designers usually focus on visual aspects where developers usually focus on logic and interactivity issues. As rare as they are, they do exist.

If you're just taking what he already has but need to convert it to web, take a photo...

Using photoshop and or fireworks, its easy enough to create your mask and recreate the logo.

Why not use a cropped out version of the image ? Because with logos, you want them as crisp and clean as possible, the only way to get that is create a "re-creation" of the same logo, but 2-4 times larger than needed, " could be re-used for other projects as well "... Once you have it, adjust your size down to what is needed.

What I've done in the past, take an image of current logo, adjust the size up 3-4 times larger and usually at 150-200 DPI... Make it about 50% transparent... Then create the new logo on top using the image as a guideline to keep fonts, shapes etc all in proportion.

NEW LOGOS require some creativity and there's really no suggestions anyone can give you on that as its all personal preference and skill, but there are some basic design styles that should be followed.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    You do have two different skill sets at play here, graphic design and web design. Not every web designer is gifted with the other spectrum of graphic design and vice versa.. I would consider myself A graphic designer first and foremost with a web design emphasis since I know enough of web design to design a functional site but I have been drawing since grade school and have converted that love of art over to graphic design with computers, where web designer is something new that I have had to learn.

What you can do for yourself to grow in this area is basically find a lot of Tutorials and practice, practice, practice. I started out using PS7 and followed many tutorials and then I got to a point where I began making tutorials for forum sigs for others to follow.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    cheers for all the comments

Just out of interest then... Do you use one of those pen tools that you can buy so rather than using the mouse to draw on photoshop for example you simply draw it using a pen..

Im sure they are called tablets?

If you do let me know as i may buy one lol I've just had a go at tracing an image and its driving me nuts! lol

Thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I purchased a bambo wacom tablet which is considered a entry level tablet, but it collects more dust than it does use. I usually use the pentool when outlining an object.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    yeah me too, the pen tool is pretty good. But i was wondering if it would be easier to go round images with an actual pen, but using the pen tool if that makes sence lol

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    yes tables make the work more easy for me.. i don't know for what others think of tablets but i prefer tables for this.. :-)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I've got a Wacom drawing tablet I think it's pretty useless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads