Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Greetings.

I have a few questions about parallax scrolling as it's something our business is considering for our own website.

This website is an example of the effect we want: http://manufacturedessai.it/it/

First things first, how expensive is it? can it be done by a single web designer if we provide all the graphics? Our maximum budget is 3000-4000 (should that include future maintenance? is it too little?)

Our website will have 2 separate sections as we provide 2 different services. First is the home page, which will have a statement. After you enter, you'll have a choice of which section of our site you'd like to view. We only want the parallax effect in our gallery pages, I've made a quick diagram of a potential layout for the website..
    27th sept 2012 website layout.jpg

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by posting this here, but this website feels like the right place to ask.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    It looks like their site is based on two primary systems.
    1) HTML5
    2) MediaboxAdvanced: http://iaian7.com/webcode/mediaboxAdvanced#examples

So it works best with Chrome or FireFox, not so good with IE.
    HTML5 is not supported on all browsers yet ... but it will be.

The important thing with their site is that its fluid design works well
    with a desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone, ... any type of device. It looks
    good no matter what you're viewing it on.

Knowing that, and realizing the use of MediaboxAdvanced, you can specifically ask
    developers about doing a site like that. There is no Flash being used.
    That's the best thing.

And in the least, contact that site's design/developer and talk to them about it.
    Hopefully they speak English. Maybe it's not as expensive as you think. I believe
    the photographs and graphics cost more than the development.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Mlseim is right. The graphics are going to, or at least should cost more than the dev for a site like that. Parallax is exceedingly easy to do. It can be done with only 1 line of CSS for something simple. Maybe a few more for a site like that one.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thank you mlseim and Ronald. That was extremely helpful. I have emailed the developers of that website, just waiting for a reply now.

How difficult would it be to update or add images to the gallery for a site like the above? I ask because we're a product design studio and we don't have anybody in the studio who can read or write any sort of codes. If we hired a freelancer to create the website, would we then have to rely on that person to do it for us?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    When you hire someone, make sure that's part of the contract. If you want to be able to edit it, tell them that's what you want. It takes a little work to set up, but the photography portfolio I'm finishing up now does something similar. All the client will have to do is post a new "blog post" with the photo in it, and it'll add it to the gallery page automatically.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads