Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Search Field

Member #
    Hello,

I am running Apache2 on MAC OSX 10.5 server. I have a website that has alot of PDF's that are listed by an index page.

I would like to create a search field so people can just type in the PDF that they are looking for and it would come up.

Can anyone help me out on this?
    Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Once you are on the Index page... Can't you just press "ctrl" & "f" and use the built in "find" command in the browser?

You can only search titles or file names that way, but not sure what you are looking to do.

If you're wanting to have an actual "search function", you'll need a custom search script that you basically search file names of a particular folder. If you're running PHP on your server, it should be pretty simple.

If you're wanting to "filter" your search results, to only show documents with those words or phrase in the actual search results, then you're talking about a DB, where are the titles, filenames or whatever are loaded into the DB...

Member #
    Thanks, if I want to go the PHP route, can you point me in the direction of how to do this?

I know little of PHP and I'm in the process of learing it but at a slow pace..=).

Thanks,

Remove Ads