Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Pricing

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm new here, and I'm new to web design as a profession. I've done some design for about 10 years as an amateur, and decided to get some schooling to pursue web design, so here I am. Haha.

I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered at some point already.

I'm curious as to the prices freelancers are charging for sites. I've seen a lot of freelancer websites claim anywhere from $1500-$10,000 for a site, but then you have people on some popular freelance bidding sites bidding $150 for an entire custom ecommerce website.

What gives? Not all of the bidders are US, and I get that outsourcing is cheaper, but c'mon. Even some US bidders are bidding less than $200-$300 for a site. How is this possible? Do they create from scratch, prototype, build, launch on a test server, debug, and all that for such low money?

I'm beginning to wonder if I made a bad decision choosing this as a profession.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You get what you pay for.

You'll soon discover that great sites are made by teams of people.
    So, they do charge $2000-$10000 for a site. But you should see what
    the sites are like. Not only the final product, but the support and
    maintenance as well.

If a U.S. or Indian bidder creates a $200 site, please give us a link to one
    of them. We'll all take a look and decide if it's worth the $200.

In fact, we should all come up with some sites that we actually know what
    the prices were. That would be a great discussion to have on this forum.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There are a few different angles at play here.

1) There are people who claim to be "from USA" because they have a virtual office or a UPS mailbox somewhere in the States, but the development is done offshore by...well, let's just say some less than talented individuals (I've had to manage a couple of these offshore "teams" and quite frankly I'd rather stab myself in the eyes with a rusty razor blade than go through that again).

2) Lowball bids. The bid is for $200 to get the buyer's attention and then raise the price.

3) Outsourcing isn't necessarily that much cheaper. I'm starting to see places like India, Vietnam, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal put up rates that are not that much lower than their North American counterparts.

4) A lot of them will use a prebuilt script (often a clone script) and either try to retrofit it to the project they're working on or put forth next to no effort at all in the retrofitting stage and hope the client doesn't notice. I actually had this happen with a client of mine with one of the teams I was brought in to manage...and the really stupid part is that the team claimed they had to solve "a licensing issue with the usage of the script"...that they allegedly wrote themselves! Of course, the script didn't work with the project in question and the client had to drop the team.

5) Generic cover letters with a one-size-fits-all bid and supporting documentation that clearly indicates they didn't read the project specs and have no idea how they're doing it.

I'm going to make a very politically incorrect prediction here and one that some people will probably accuse me of racism for making. But it's not...it's based on observation of trends and speaking to several decision makers both here in Canada and in the United States. So here goes...offshore outsourcing is at the point now where the more truly progressive companies will stop using these types of companies and switch back to North American developers soon, and they will be followed...eventually...by the slow-moving corporate beasts of the world. This may not be the end of the offshore world, but you can see it from here...I give it about 5-10 years. There will still be offshore development, but it won't be for anything big or of real consequence.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    the sites are no really cheap and they use templates they slightly change the template designs..

Remove Ads