Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been doing what would be called "internet marketing" for a few months now. I'm not successful at it yet and still learning. My work has consisted of setting up niche sites and attempting to monetize them. Doing this has not required me to require a particular "hard skill"- I've mainly just been doing a little bit of everything. I would like to be able to say I can do "web design" so I can advertise my services on Elance or maybe even get a job. How should I go about learning it? Just look through my hard code site files- highlight them and try to draw connections in my mind? Outside of school- how do you become a web designer? Any idea on time estimates to get up to a decent level of knowledge and skill?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Web design does not require knowledge of HTML or CSS or anything technical. Web design is an extension of design in general. So you'll need the tools of a designer, and you'll need to learn how to design.

Tools: You will first have to master Photoshop and Illustrator, and preferably some wireframing tools like Balsamiq. Mastering Photoshop alone took me years. Start with Photoshop tutorials so you can learn some techniques on how to lay things out and add effects.

Skills: Next, you'll have to learn how to actually design stuff. Outside of a classroom, this isn't simple. Be prepared to read tons of articles on usability, aesthetics, and possibly psychology. These are a web designer's real "skill" - the ability to know his audience and create appealing and easy-to-learn/use interfaces for products.

Could tale a solid 3-5 years to get it all down. Probably best to get a degree while you're at it. Best wishes.

Remove Ads