Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi everyone,

I'm working on a travel advice site for Hawaii. I am using the Wordpress engine with Skeleton framework. I using my blog for answering general FAQs tourists may have about Hawaii.

One thing I am thinking about is how I wanted to allow comments on the site. I want people to be able to ask questions on a particular blog entry easily. I've never had a site which allowed comments, so this is a first time experience for me.

The web design sites I go to all use Wordpress comments, but I've also seen many sites using the Facebook commentary social plugin. Although Wordpress comments would be fine, I'm not sure which one is better, so I'd like to hear what people think.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I refuse to use a Facebook commentary plugin since the potential for others to see more about me than what I would like others to know. So I vote for Wordpress comments.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You can incorporate both, but keep moderation of all post turned on. Make others register before they can post, I believe in the settings once they have registered, you can either leave them in moderation mode, or allow their post to go live without moderation.

if you don't mod all the comments to begin with, you'll be spending a lot of time deleting spam bot post of junk. ( you still will, but they won't be seen by visitors if you leave them in moderation mode ).

Me personally, i would never post to another site using my facebook credentials for the reasons stated above, but there are many that will, and you might actually get some traffic out of it if people share their post on their facebook wall once they've posted or liked an answer they got.

One thing I have noticed, people DO like to brag about their vacations or pending vacation plans on facebook.... so might be a good thing to consider implementing.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Of course you wouldn't! My reasons are friggin' awesome, like me. Good thing you're smart enough to recognize!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Thanks, I'll take a look at "moderation." I'm honestly concerned about spam, which would ruin the comments for myself and for viewers.

Those are good points toward Wordpress comments. I can always still add social media with the many floating bars they have.

-R

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I would definitely recommend sticking with WordPress's built in comments system.
    I don't think forcing people to use Facebook for the comments would be a good idea.
    However, it should be an option!

Remove Ads