Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi,

I was wondering what the purpose of having a lot of subscribers to a blog is? More subscribers = more traffic = more payout from ads, but is there any particular benefit of having more subscribers over having more general traffic (non-bot)?

-R

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Merely what the content is.

Having subscribers is for other reasons, not necessarily traffic.

If you have a site (blog) that offers information people like and information
    people need, they tell others, and so on. Traffic increases by a lot! If your
    blog is very limited to a specific demographic, or the information is old,
    or boring, people won't visit ... you therefore won't have many subscribers
    either. But it starts with content.

That's a huge problem with the internet ... poor content. And then people
    wonder why they don't get traffic. Don't use family or friends to critique
    your blog (or content). They will always tell you that it's great, even when
    it's not.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Thanks MLSEIM.

Yes, the internet is full of crap. And I feel like it's made worse by people who fill it up with crap to make money or generate traffic. Because of this, it's quite a sigh of relief whenever I find quality content. With that said...

I do plan to have great content on my site. I'm planning to release it with at least 10 quality blog posts, so that readers can get a feel for the type of content they can expect. I can't be sure that people will subscribe to it, but I can make sure they will find it worth their time info-wise or at least to garner a couple chuckles.

No family members will be critiquing this. As soon as it's released, I'm going to be getting my first round of feedback from the Reviews section in this forum.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 242719
    Hi,

I was wondering what the purpose of having a lot of subscribers to a blog is? More subscribers = more traffic = more payout from ads
    Not necessarily true. In fact, there's an argument that suggests the opposite.

WDF, for example, has all sorts of subscribers (i.e. members). I have none. Without getting into details on what they make with Adsense, here's how their Adsense figures compare to mine:

1) Take their Adsense figure.
    2) Move the decimal over to the right. I won't say how many places, but the fact that it needs to move at all should tell you something.

The biggest advantage to having multiple subscribers from an advertising point of view is that they in theory will share your awesome content with others that may in turn generate ad revenue for you, but that's the whole "shortest distance between two points is a straight line" thing and you're relying on others to do what you should be doing yourself.

In other words, if you can get the right non-subscriber non-bot traffic, you're probably a lot better off.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Building a big record of subscribers who are devoted and who are willing to buy the products you offer them, is an integral part of maintaining and growing your business.
    Your record should be your main focus point in order to generate income online successfully.:coffee::coffee:

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay...so what happens when you don't have anything to sell? What if your business model isn't actually based on selling anything? Then what?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 242918
    Okay...so what happens when you don't have anything to sell? What if your business model isn't actually based on selling anything? Then what?
    Once you get enough subscribers, I think even strictly-informational blogs can turn into profiting machines.

One blog I read, I think it's Web Designer Depot, has a pretty good articles. Everyone 7 or 8 articles will be some sort of commercial plug though... "win a free commercial license for ...." or "the latest in cloud technology providers..." They don't explicitly say that they are reimbursed (maybe they're not and just want to push cool stuff), but I can definitely see how it can be.

Anyway, good to hear thoughts on this. I am going to put this in the back of my mind. For now, I'll just focus on content!

-R

Remove Ads