Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Which method works best

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

2 66.67%
  • B

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    HI,

I'm in the early stages of building an eCommerce website for selling "Persian handicrafts". I need your valuable advice on header navigation menu. I would like to know which of the two following options (A and B ) would better fit an eCommerce navigation menu.

A. Links with dropdowns:
    • Main category: Khatam -> Dropdowns: Clocks, Storage, Games, ...
    • Main category: Enamel -> Dropdowns: Bowl, Clocks, Dishes, ...
    • Main category: Ghalam Zani -> Dropdowns: Tableau, Dishes, ...
    • Main category: Monabat -> Dropdowns: Tableau, ..
    • Main category: Mogha'ar -> Dropdowns: Tableau, ..
    • Main category: Books
    • Main category: Paper

B. Links
    • Clocks
    • Dishes
    • Storage
    • Games
    • Tableau

Please note that Khatam, Enamel, Ghalam Zani, Monabat and Mogha'ar are the types of handicaft arts which are used for making all sorts of finished handicafts products such as Clocks, Storage, Bowl, Dishes and etc. From the above method A and B you might have noticed that in method A I have categorised the navigation menu based on the methods that are used for building a handicraft (Khatam, Enamel, Ghalam Zani, ...) whereas in method B categorisation is done based on the finished product (Clocks, Storage, Bowl, Dishes, ...).

Please submit your suggestions.

THANKS!

P.S

Dish that is constructed using Enamel handicraft method

Storage Box made using Khatam method

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    This will depend on your intended target group.

If your demographics are mainly people who know what those methods are,
    I would say you choose option A. If like me ... they have no idea those were
    methods, I would use option B.

But the cool thing about using PHP/MySQL is, you can do both. The galleries, or
    catalog pages are dynamically generated. The user could have the choice
    of browsing your catalog by either option A or option B.

If I view 'clocks', I would see them for all methods ... but ... I would also
    discover the actual methods by the item description. That might lead me to
    searching by 'method' if for example, I like the Khatam method.

See what I mean?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    As mlseim said, your answer will depend on your target market. That's the bad news if you don't know your target market.

The good news is...I'm friggin' awesome.

The good news that's relevant to you is...that Google has a free product that will allow you to experiment with your content and layout to figure out what works (and what doesn't). It's called, appropriately enough, Google Content Experiments. I haven't used Experiments myself, but I did use its predecessor (Google Website Optimizer) and the sites I used it on were able to increase conversions by 30-40% once I came up with the right combination of things.

Your menu issue is the perfect thing to test on this. Again, I haven't played with this incarnation of it (the only people on here that I can think of that might have are Webzarus and smoseley), but it should work...it worked really well with GWO.

As far as a guess? I'd go with option A...it's got more Persian words in it. If you're targeting Persian handicrafts, you'll probably have better success with the native words.
    Javadh likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 243336
    This will depend on your intended target group.

If your demographics are mainly people who know what those methods are,
    I would say you choose option A. If like me ... they have no idea those were
    methods, I would use option B.

But the cool thing about using PHP/MySQL is, you can do both. The galleries, or
    catalog pages are dynamically generated. The user could have the choice
    of browsing your catalog by either option A or option B.

If I view 'clocks', I would see them for all methods ... but ... I would also
    discover the actual methods by the item description. That might lead me to
    searching by 'method' if for example, I like the Khatam method.

See what I mean?
    I see what you mean. My target market are individuals who have interest in Persia, Iran, Art, Persian art, handicrafts and basically anyone related to Persian culture, art, crafts and history. Meanwhile they are not YET familiar with each individual methods (Khatam, Enamel, ...) but we intend to educate them on methods. So by considering such target would it be better to have them confront a menu consisting option A or B?

In my view each method has its own merits and demerits. So would be wise to consider option A as thesis, option B as antithesis and therefore come up with a synthesis of A and B. Something that is similar to the following:
    • Khatam -> Dropdowns: Clocks, Storage, Games, ...
    • Enamel -> Dropdowns: Bowl, Clocks, Dishes, ...
    • Wall Decor -> Dropdowns: Tableau, Clocks, Method (Khatam, Enamel, Moaragh), ...
    • Tableware -> Dropdowns: Dish, Bowl, Method (Khatam, Enamel, Moaragh), ...

Looking forward to your valuable advice.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Yes ... synthesis, or a hybrid of both systems.

And since your MySQL database table will have columns for 'method', 'category','item', etc.
    you can generate that menu however you wish. If someone picks 'clocks', you show them
    all clocks from all methods. If they choose the 'enamel' clock, you narrow it down to
    only the enamel clocks, but maybe you'll have a new link that says, "You may be interested
    in other enamel art". Or, other people were interested in "this" ... and a link to other
    enamel art.
    Javadh likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettoncm, post: 243479
    I suggest option B.

If I were to buy a clock from your website, I would like to see all the different varieties and options in 1 page, under 1 heading. I would get confused if I had to look from 2 different types of patterns, and would probably not be able to make my decision effectively. This would harm you the most, as you will lose prospective buyers. It is better to have similar products in the same page, for easier comparison of patterns and prices, and better and effective decision making.

I hope my suggestion helps you. Please try and ask more queries if needed. Good Luck!
    Thanks for submitting your suggestion.

Considering your suggestion (option B) one might assume when visiting the website and confronting the navigation menu that we are seller of clocks, wall art, home decor, etc rather than a unique artifact made by hand. Doing so we are perceived as a company who is selling a Khatam Clock; Khatam Clock is a Clock built with Khatam method i.e. the Clock part of the equation is paramount. The Clock part being paramount would suggest that we are emphasizing the COMMODITY (clock) and neglecting or de-empashizing the ART/METHOD (khatam) aspect of the product.
    Contrary to your suggestion and by way of implementing option A. we are seller of Clock Khatam; Clock Khatam is the ART/METHOD of Khatam used for building a clock i.e. the Khatam part of the equation is paramount. By way of emphasizing Khatam we are perceived as a company offering different types of ART/METHODS rather than commodity (clocks, home accessories, etc.).

Are the above assertions false or true? Does the navigation menu play any role in influencing your perception or do you simply use the navigation to easily navigate through the store?

I would be very glad to have your suggestions.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 243358
    Yes ... synthesis, or a hybrid of both systems.

And since your MySQL database table will have columns for 'method', 'category','item', etc.
    you can generate that menu however you wish. If someone picks 'clocks', you show them
    all clocks from all methods. If they choose the 'enamel' clock, you narrow it down to
    only the enamel clocks, but maybe you'll have a new link that says, "You may be interested
    in other enamel art". Or, other people were interested in "this" ... and a link to other
    enamel art.
    thanks for your reply. I would also like to have your valuable thoughts on the following:

sbrettoncm said:
    I suggest option B.

If I were to buy a clock from your website, I would like to see all the different varieties and options in 1 page, under 1 heading. I would get confused if I had to look from 2 different types of patterns, and would probably not be able to make my decision effectively. This would harm you the most, as you will lose prospective buyers. It is better to have similar products in the same page, for easier comparison of patterns and prices, and better and effective decision making.

I hope my suggestion helps you. Please try and ask more queries if needed. Good Luck!
    Thanks for submitting your suggestion.

My resposne:
    Considering your suggestion (option B) one might assume when visiting the website and confronting the navigation menu that we are seller of clocks, wall art, home decor, etc rather than a unique artifact made by hand. Doing so we are perceived as a company who is selling a Khatam Clock; Khatam Clock is a Clock built with Khatam method i.e. the Clock part of the equation is paramount. The Clock part being paramount would suggest that we are emphasizing the COMMODITY (clock) and neglecting or de-empashizing the ART/METHOD (khatam) aspect of the product.
    Contrary to your suggestion and by way of implementing option A. we are seller of Clock Khatam; Clock Khatam is the ART/METHOD of Khatam used for building a clock i.e. the Khatam part of the equation is paramount. By way of emphasizing Khatam we are perceived as a company offering different types of ART/METHODS rather than commodity (clocks, home accessories, etc.).

Are the above assertions false or true? Does the navigation menu play any role in influencing your perception or do you simply use the navigation to easily navigate through the store?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I think it really boils down to the demographics. Your customers or target
    audience will know what the methods might be. I (or we) don't know what
    Khatam means. So right away, you realize that we can't answer this question.
    That's why I say do it both ways, use cookies to let the site visitor choose
    his/her method of searching, and for sure offer suggestions and preferences
    that other people used ... what other items are related, etc.
    Javadh likes this.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Is your website more about the Persian aspect or the Handicrafts aspect?
    I would do A if it's more about the Persian aspect of it.
    But B if it's about the items not the kind of item.
    Javadh likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 243553
    Is your website more about the Persian aspect or the Handicrafts aspect?
    I would do A if it's more about the Persian aspect of it.
    But B if it's about the items not the kind of item.
    Does the navigation menu have any influence on what the prospect thinks our site means or simply a tool for navigating through the store?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads